chapter two

WE NEED A PLAN

"I KNEW THIS was going to happen...I let this happen. Screw fate. This isn't fate, it wasn't supposed to be like this!" Raven shouted.

Steve watched as a rage-filled Raven used her powers to throw things around the room, kicking a few pieces of furniture around as well. Despite the scene she was making, no one dared to stop her, at least not yet due to the immense purple aura of power that had begun to swirl around the girl as her emotions took over. She needs to let her emotions out, he reminded himself. This is a healthy way of doing that...I think.

"Are we just going to let her tear everything apart in there?" Bruce Banner's voice cracked as he gestured to Raven, looking to the remaining heroes.

"She's just doing what everyone else feels like doing," Natasha pointed out quietly. "Let her be for now. She'll simmer down in a bit."

Raven huffed, her shoulders moving up and down quickly. The mess that surrounded her reflected the thoughts swarming in her mind: out of order and disgustingly disorganized. She collapsed to the floor, stray tears falling down her cheeks in frustration. The woman pushed her hair back, trying to slow her breathing as she did so.

She gathered herself, trying to compose her physical appearance into one of an unaffected soldier like she used to. But she wasn't like she used to be; she changed like everything and everyone else. Emotions weren't as easy to suppress right now, and in this moment, she hated it; she needed to be figuring out a way to fix this mistake.

[STILL ALIVE]

   "We need a plan. I know that asshole of an alien didn't just poof out of existence. He's out there somewhere with the Infinity Stones and we need to find him. Now." It had been a few days and Raven Nix had finally gathered herself and began talking to the remaining heroes about what needed to be done.

   "What do you expect us to do? There's even less of us than before and—" Bruce's words were cut short when she sent a glare at the man.

   "You can't just use the most powerful objects in the universe and walk away unscathed. He's injured, maybe it's bad enough to where we can find him and kill him. I'm willing to take that chance," Raven said ambitiously. It was clear to Steve that she had become reckless. It wasn't like her to jump the gun on something this serious, but he understood how a loss this momentous could have that effect.

   "She's not wrong," Rocket mused with a shrug. Raven didn't question why a raccoon was agreeing with her, let alone how he was talking, and gave him a nod of thanks.

   "We don't even know where to start..." Bruce trailed off tiredly.

   The woman ran a hand through her hair with a huff. She looked to Thor who had been listening intently to her words, clearly wanting to kill the bastard as much as she did.

   "Thanos took everything from us," she reminded, her voice cracking as she fell back into a seat. As she spoke, all she could think of was Bucky Barnes and how she needed to get him back. "He took our friends, family, the people we love. Don't you think the least we can do is try?" She looked up to Steve. "We find him, take back the stones, and fix this."

The man's arms were crossed over his chest. "I want to fix this as much as you do, but if we find him, we have no idea what's waiting for us. Thanos could have another army and it's too risky right now, especially with..." he trailed off, gesturing to her. "Buck might've let you fight and I know it's not my body, but I don't think it's a good idea."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Rhodey butted in, a confused expression masking his face.

Steve raises his eyebrows at Raven, silently asking her to just tell the rest of them. She let out a huff and ran her hand through her hair. "I'm pregnant, there." Small gasps escaped a few of the others. "But that doesn't change what needs to be done!"

"It changes how it needs to be done," Natasha protested firmly. "Nix, you'd be putting your kid's life on the line."

   That made the woman's mouth clamp shut. Everything about her situation was unfamiliar; she wasn't use to being shunned from the fight and she definitely wasn't use to having a child's life on the line, let alone her own baby. Bucky wouldn't like you fighting, her conscious reminded, he'd want you to be safe. She swallowed thickly, a small feeling of sadness beginning to wash over her.

"Fine," she agreed stubbornly. "But not 'cause you pulled a child endangerment card." She gave Nat a pointed look. "It's what he would've wanted," she said quietly. Her words made Steve frown softly as he set a hand on her shoulder, supporting the woman and her reasoning. She gave him a tight-lipped smile before gently pulling away from his grasp.

"Well, if that's all the surprise announcements we're getting today, then congrats." Rhodey set his hands on his hips. "Now let's start trying to find this son of a bitch."