“Is it a true story?”

“No.”

“Oh. Alright, let us go see it after dinner.”

A wide smile appeared on Jungkook’s face. He was happy how Chaeyoung was quick to agree in hanging out with him.

“Thanks.” He whispered.

“Thanks for what?”

“Thanks for uh . . . your company. I’ve always had a good time with you, Chaeyoung. So thank you.”

Chaeyoung was tounge-tied. She was unaccustomed to Jungkook being this honest about his feelings. So she smiled back at him, finding no words coming out of her mouth.

And as promised they went to watch the movie after dinner. Chaeyoung first thought that the movie will be boring. However, by the end of the movie, Chaeyoung was trying so hard to keep her tears from flowing.

“Wait!” Jungkook stopped Chaeyoung.

When he gestured to touch her face, she was taken aback. So she moved a step away.

“What?” Chaeyoung asked, sounding annoyed.

He chuckled, “I’m just going to wipe something off your face.”

“Hey! I did not cry.” Chaeyoung answered defensively.

“I did not say it was a tear. It’s just a smudge or something.”

Then he reached out to touch her face before she can even respond. This time, Chaeyoung froze in place and allowed Jungkook to touch her face. While looking straight into her eyes, Jungkook caressed Chaeyoung’s cheek.

And to break the sudden awkwardness, Jungkook commented, “It feels kind of wet though. Are you sure you didn’t cry?”

“I’m sure!” Chaeyoung proudly answered. Then she hit Jungkook’s arm before leaving him behind.

“Chaeyoung! I was just joking. Wait for me!”

… … … … …

Knock! Knock! Knock!

“Come in,” Lisa called.

“Hey! What took you so long to open the door? I’ve been here for . . .”

Chaeyoung was not able to finish her sentence when Taehyung emerged from behind Lisa.

“Chaeyoung,” Taehyung called.

“Chae, I-I did not know you were coming. Sorry.” Lisa explained.

“It’s fine. I will uh, I’ll just get going. I’ll come back later. See ya!” Chaeyoung said before turning to leave.

“Wait! Chaeyoung. Please. Let us talk.”

Chaeyoung slowly turned back to look at Taehyung. She did not know whether she wanted to talk to him at all. But he looked so dejected and it was tearing all of her resolve.

Taehyung pleaded once more.

“Can you at least listen to me? It’s up to you to respond or not. Please, Chae.”

After a brief silence, Lisa interrupted, “I will be in my room.”

Then she dashed out and left Chaeyoung and Taehyung by themselves.

Chaeyoung moved past Taehyung to go to the living room. Then she sat down on the armchair while Taehyung sat across from her. Deafening silence enveloped them. Taehyung was looking straight at Chaeyoung, never taking his eyes away from her.