~Chapter 1

Johnny's PoV-

The air was chilled as I sat in the lot. I was thinking about going over to see Ponyboy but the ground had a strange comfort to it. I liked it here even though it was long ago that Bob and his rings had shown. He's gone now. Dead.   "Johnnycake!" I sat up and saw Ponyboy walking my way. He had a navy blue t-shirt on, jeans, and no shoes.

"Pony's tryin' to stomp a bee! Everybody Ponyboy Curtis is a bee smasher!" I hollered to him. I couldn't help but laugh at my own joke. Looking back at him I swear I could've seen him smirking.

"Just to inform you, Johnny, I've never stepped on a bee." He was grinning ear to ear. He seems happier now that he has a girlfriend. You'd never believe Cherry , the Socs, would love a Greaser.

"How's Cherry?"

"She has a new friend, Sam. She's nice and all but she's not into sunsets." I understood what he was saying. Sam doesn't think we see the same sun.

"That's a shame, Pony." This Sam should know how it is. Greasers and Socs are just a like. We see the same sun morning, noon, and night.

"Well, I'm going to go meet up with them. You could come if you like."

"Sure." I've got nothing better to do. We walked to the park and sat by the fountain. I didn't like this spot remembering how Bob lie laying on the ground, lifeless and bleeding to death.

"Hey, Pony, Johnny." I hear Cherry's perky voice then someone else's.

"I'm Samantha." I look up to see a girl in front of me. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail allowing her hazel eyes to peer out. Her outfit was a simple white shirt and skirt.

"Johnny Cade." I stood and walked to stand at Pony's side.

"Well, we can go now. Sam and I will race you to the field." Cherry announced. She started running and so did Ponyboy.

"Wanna walk with me?" I asked her shyly. 

"Alright." She made a face of disgust at my question. I'm not a bad person.  

"So..." I trailed off feeling nervous.  

"I hear you like sunsets like Ponyboy, Johnny."  

"Yeah. You should see them. They're beautiful--like you." The last line is barely audible. I quickly glance over at her and notice her blush.  

"Thank  you? Haha."

  "Yeah I'd like it if you came and watched it with us tonight." I offered slowly.  

"Sure thing, Johnny. I'd love that." She blushes again making her cheeks a deep red. I smile myself thinking, Maybe she'll change. We didn't speak the rest of the way there; when we arrived Pony and Cherry were lying in the grass giggling. I wondered about what they had been saying but I didn't spend too much time on it.  

"So, Sam, did you like hanging out with Johnnyboy here?" Cherry slaps me on the back pretty hard for a girl. Ouch, I think.  

"It was...it went well." Sam said blushing and looking at the ground.  

"Johnny?" Cherry asked probably wondering why Sam would be blushing like she was.  

"I think we have a party of four instead of three, Ponyboy." He'll understand what I mean.

  "I see." He said smirking the way he does when I do something he likes. We all sat in a circle in the middle of the field talking about random things and people. Dallas comes up a few times and it makes me frown. Dally's my big brother and Pony's my little one. But when they started talking love and drinking I got up and layed under a tree. I lay there with my eyes closed pretending to sleep so no one would bother me. I hear faint foot steps coming my way so I turn over on my side and continue to sleep.