03 | the panic

MONDAY MORNING a moment later _____

MONDAY MORNING
a moment later
_____

    THE salad was in a black container, filled with nuts, berries, lettuce, and pieces of grilled chicken that had been sprinkled with feta cheese. Looking a whole lot better than any other salad the school system provided, the boys took their sweet time inspecting their salads. Even though an incessant, lingering anticipation hovered over them, they tried their best to lighten the mood.

Key word: TRIED.

"Tyler, I swear to God, if you don't wait!" Armani snapped, his hand ready to smack flames from Tyler's neck as the youngest prodded at the salad container.

"What the hell?! Why can't I just be the taste tester, huh?! You're acting like I'm setting off a bomb!" Tyler whined, rolling his eyes as he opened his salad container.

"Well," Darryn began, sniffing the salad, "at least it smells nice," he muttered, picking up his plastic fork.

Tyler gaped at Darryn, looking between him and Armani. "So he can open up his salad, but not me?!?" Huffing, he took the lid off of his salad, "Look, they even come with their own sauce!" he added, inspecting the dark liquid swishing inside of a smaller container in the salad container.

Going to dip his finger into the vinaigrette, Armani held his hand up, halting Tyler's and everyone else's movements. "Ah, ah! We do this together, at the same time," he warned, narrowing his eyes at Tyler who's finger slowly, but surely inches closer to the dressing.

Tyler frowned, his lower lip poked out as he looked at the older boy, "I just wanna taste it-"

"Didn't I just say that we do this together?!" Armani snapped, rolling his eyes. "Now, everyone open their dressing and sniff it, not taste it like some hungry whores at this table," he grumbled out, his eyes glaring at Tyler who's finger was hovering just above the dark liquid.

Tyler gaped, "I'm not even doing anything-"

"You're always doing something," Darryn cut him off, scoffing out a laugh at the shocked expression on the youngest's face.

"I- how dare you- you know what? I don't need this," Tyler huffed, dipping his index finger into the vinaigrette, and shoving his coated finger into his mouth.

Time seemed to stop, everything around the blond stilling as the bursting, intoxicating scent and taste of the vinaigrette danced along his tastebuds.

His pupils dilated so wide that there was only a tiny, minuscule sliver of blue in his iris as his they expanded.

The nicotine in his juul had nothing on this vinaigrette.