Chapter | 4

CHAPTER
f o u r

"TOGURO," she mumbled, voice small and unsure. "What do you call this?"

He chuckled, deep and husky, that would only be suitable for a man with his bulk.

"That, Lan," he cradled the small wooden piece within his fingers. "Is a shogi piece."

Lan furrowed her brows in thought, head cocked to one side as she regarded the rectangular board laid out before her. Toguro sat across from her on the board's other side, staring at her with kind eyes and a patient smile as she fiddled with the pieces.

"This is a game." She repeated what he said earlier, though her confusion was mingled in her voice. "I'm afraid I do not understand."

"What don't you understand?" Toguro placed back the piece on its place. "Was it the rules, the mechanics, or the pieces?"

"The purpose." Lan straightened on her perch, back straight with her hands poised on her lap. "You create a very detailed set of rules with very specific limitations. The goal is to achieve domination over the other—but is nothing but a mere game?" The word sat oddly on her tongue.

"Why create a strategic plan for a game when it's better to apply it for battle?"

She was being serious. The drive of this game, Shogi, was askew. A game seemed shallow, a complete waste of thought and time to even consider. What is this even? An old board with grids and a small pile of wooden pieces with characters inked onto them. Why reserve strategy for this?

Lan was being serious, but Toguro only laughed.

"This is called a game, Lan, because it allows us relaxation." Picking up a piece, Toguro began the first move. "But at the same time, it sharpens the mind."

"But what for?"

"For anything." Toguro shrugged.

Lan frowned, lips parting to object, yet couldn't. Here she sat, mulling over some. . . some chips. After two months of staying in this temple, Toguro decided now (out of all times) to call for her to join him by the veranda, and he showed her this. He taught her the rules and the mechanics of this strange activity patiently, not even having the need to repeat twice during the whole ordeal.

It was easy enough to follow for Lan, but she could have been outside right now, observing in those strange animal creatures while staying clear of the Forbidden Forest. She had no desire with crossing paths with other demons at the moment.

Yet instead of doing her bidding, she was stuck here to supposedly concoct some strategy (not that it was difficult) to win—and gain nothing.

"Just try," Toguro encouraged. "You might find that you'll enjoy it."

"I doubt it."

Sighing, Lan shook her head, yet she made no movement to leave. In the end, she did try—mostly for Toguro's sake, she owed it to him after he convinced Genkai to give her a chance.

Pleased, Toguro said nothing else. They played twice that day.

And again two days after.

Then another after that day.

A week later, Genkai joined in, and Lan discovered just how verbal the pinkette could be when losing. It's not like it's Lan's fault, the game was a breeze to her.