Chapter 59 - Our Forever

Start from the beginning

"No! No way!" I refused. "You can't! It doesn't matter anymore – I don't want-"

"I would rather die than lose you too!" She cried, her nails practically digging into my chest.

Her declaration struck me like a ton of bricks. I knew that it was what she had been getting at, but to hear those words actually come from her mouth really cut through the soft, silky strings of my weakened heart.

"D-don't..." I spluttered, grabbing her right wrist in both hands. "Please don't..."

"...I have to..." She sniffed, reaching out and cupping my cheek.

"N-no you don't... You don't..." I cried as the feeling over her hand on my face let loose another wave of tears. They rolled down my cheeks and she stopped them from hitting the ground as she gently caressed the side of my face, her fingertips tracing the outline of my jaw. She slowly worked her way around my head, her fingers sliding into my hair as she reacquainted herself with every detail of my face. "Y-you don't have to save the world..." I croaked. "Not like this... Not if it means you have to go..."

Nelly breathed in, shook her head and leant forward, carefully pulling my head towards her. She lightly pressed her forehead against mine, and the tips of our noses brushed together. Encapsulated by her deep brown eyes for the umpteenth time, she knew she had me under her spell and smiled, despite the fear and pain in her heart.

"...I don't care about saving the world..." She admitted. "Honestly, I... I-I don't want to be the one..."

"Then don't..."

"But I love this world..." Her eyes locked with mine. "I love it because you're in it... So... I have to save it. Because then you'll be safe. That's all I want..."

"Ngh..." I winced.

With fresh tears brewing in her eyes, Nelly tilted her head and kissed me, her lips soft and warm to the touch. It felt like my heart stopped as my body instinctively relaxed, my eyes closing as I kissed her back.

But then my brain quickly went into overdrive, as I desperately tried to think of ways to talk her out of this.

"I don't want you to go..." I swallowed, slowly separating from her. "I-I... If I have to lose you to survive, then... Th-then I don't want to survive...!"

"You don't mean that..." Nelly sniffed. "You're terrified of death..."

"B-but... Everyone is... But... But...!" I gritted my teeth. "I'm more scared of losing you!" I cried. "If you have to die to save the world, then I don't want it to happen! I want you!" I wiped my face. "I don't care how selfish it is – I need you... I need you...!"

"Toby..." Nelly shook her head, her gorgeous hair falling perfectly. "I want you to live... You're all I have left..."

"I don't want to live...!" I clutched at my heart. "Not without you!"

"Gh..." Nelly's lips quivered and she pulled me close again, drawing my head into her chest, where I began to sob like a baby. I helplessly clung to her, my fingers gripping her clothes. With a quiet, defeated whimper at the touch of her hands on my head, I felt years of memories screaming in my head.

"Y-you..." I swallowed, squeezing her tight and burying my face in her chest. "You promised... We promised... We promised that we'd be together forever...!"

"Nnff..." Nelly rested her chin on top of my head and gritted her teeth. "I wanted that more than anything..." She sobbed. "I just... I just wanted to be with you..."

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." I spoke through the sobbing. "I-I... I want... To be with you... Forever and ever...!" I shuddered uncontrollably and shifted, wrapping my arms around her frame. "I'm not letting go... I'll never let you go..."