Part XXXVIII (38) *POV Bonus*

*****

I was a slave to my nose; this should surprise no one.

It's what roused me from my forced nap. Pulling me to pop up like the undead. A state that was just as accurate in how I felt; I'd slept too long and now was paying the price.

A brief pit stop in the bathroom to freshen up helped get my head screwed into place. I glanced at my reflection. The bruising on my cheek wasn't any less ugly but it was starting to fade. Silver linings everywhere, including...

The infernal single word that kept stampeding through my mind, veins, and heart.

Every second that ticked by forged a new path that was turning out to be a vortex. Sucking me in with no chance of resistance. My woe's taking a back seat to be rearranged for their new home.

I was mending. By some miracle, my pieces were becoming whole; losing every glue stained crack. An internal change that only I could see.

But not my nose...that beast was adamant in its ways. Demanding I tossed self-reflection into the back seat between woes and my permanent bullseye.

With the tip in the air, inhaling every aromatic spec of heaven, I was brought to the kitchen. Only to find Sweets practically elbows deep in bowls of batter. Absolutely scandalous.

Shamelessly, I inched forward, eyes on the ideal prize. Hands, shoulders, that soft smile, or baked goods? You be the judge of that.

"Something smells divine."

"Hey, Shorts." He looked up at me from behind the counter and smiled wider. The radiance blinding. "Had a good nap?" I felt that warmth cannonball into my chest like a blast from a fire hydrant.

We'd found our middle. The sun had risen the moment he'd walked into the library and it blazed in a way I haven't felt in weeks. The force of it easing every breath, every exhale. Light burning through the watered poison and giving me fuel to lift my head higher. Grow stronger.

I don't know what had triggered the change but he seemed lighter somehow. Had he found peace in my exit? Stay or go, Dalia... The tired notes ringing their bell. Would that even matter anymore?

It was difficult for me to figure out. If he was okay with me leaving, then what good would it do to tell him what I've been considering. But my long talks gave me a different perspective, one I really didn't want to let go. Stay.

The word sat on the tip of my tongue like a skilled diver. Just waiting to plunge straight down to the point of no return. Ronaldo's voice swayed me closer to the edge.

"I'm working out a new recipe." Round and round went his spoon in gooey deliciousness.

I blinked a few times in an attempt to refocus. He'd piqued my interest.