Part XIV

Standing in the aisle, I was at an impasse that for once did not involve Bathilda or my boss. I glanced at the jacket, still hanging on the rack. The sales sign glaring at me. My thumb ran back and forth over the blanket. Both sales ended today.

Well, one day and full price won't kill me. I gripped the fleece.

Five large fleece blankets for $20 was a steal. They were warm, soft. Could block out cold surprisingly well. They're large enough that two bodies could fit under them comfortably. Three if they're small bodies. For $40 I could get ten. That's a lot of protection.

There was no contest, the kids could really use these. I had a concrete shelter after all—and now a heater. It doesn't much matter if I shake like a maraca when I walk around because that's only temporary.

So my fingers stop working from my daily trip. Big deal? It's only a little while longer and it's not like I need all ten fingers. It's not winter yet either. Lifting the two stacks of blankets, I grinned at the thought of how excited my little misfit birds will be.

Feeling impulsive, I grabbed enough of the large long-sleeved shirts as well. They were an off brand climate kind but they worked all the same. Another $40 won't kill me. I'd like to think it was fortune that drove me to grab a heater today. Otherwise, I'd have never landed all of these items for such a low price.

I'm fully aware that with the extra $40, I could have grabbed a cheaper jacket. But they need it more. I have an income—albeit a small one, but an income nonetheless. They have bartering after a five finger discount. That risk is less than I'm willing to take with them.

I paid for my blankets, long sleeves, and small pitiful heater with a light heart. I couldn't wait to give this to them. Not thinking much about it, my feet took me straight to the rascal tent village. I could see Tony warming something up in a makeshift pot, six empty cans sitting next to him.

"Lunchtime, huh?" I called out to him. His head turned warily, eyes warming up when he saw it was me.

Tony stood up and brushed at his knees before sauntering over, he towered over me. My, oh my. My little sea urchin just keeps getting bigger. "Hey, Dalia. What are you doing here?"

I smiled at him. "I come bearing gifts." Giving the bags in either hand a shake. He looked at them perplexed. I held out the one holding the shirts. "Go on, have a peek."

He reached out for it and looked into the bulging bag. His brows furrowed before his jaw clenched. Tony lifted out a single shirt and ran a finger over the material.

"It's not under armour or anything like that, but I have one just like it. It'll do the job, keep you all warm. There's enough in there for everyone." He looked at me, emotions clouding his eyes. I thought I could make out the protest that was about to come. That just won't do. I rambled on to prevent it. "I kept to larger sizes so that the kiddies can wear them a lot longer."

I jumped, startled when he wrapped an arm around me and gave me the tightest hug I've ever experienced in my life. I grinned into his chest and melted. He wasn't going to refuse my offering. Good because I'm about to drop another bomb on him.

"Dalia—" was that a sniffle? Shucks. Big, stoic, strong, I can take on the world Tony was about to make me cry. "You really didn't have to."

"Oh, hush. I can't let my little ducklings freeze or starve. But there's more."

He pulled away from me suddenly. "More?" I opened the second large bag, giving him the view of the two bundled stacks of fleece blankets.

"Before you say anything, there was a phenomenal sale on these bad boys. I couldn't pass it up. Ten total. They're rather large and should cover multiples easily. Divvy them up as you see fit." I bit my lip, eyeing him. He eyed me.