Chapter 3 Nostalgia

Start from the beginning

A glance to Tai and it was obvious of his thoughts. The massive sword upon an armored back cam into armored hands. One hand to lift from the guard and another to hold the flat of the blade. It was quite enjoyable just to see these girls so excited over weapons, it reminded him of...

He still loved his son and nothing could have unclouded his mind of it. That will never change, he'd kill a thousand men to bring him back, though that is not a chance that seemed possible. He pushed the thought out of his mind to lessen his pain.

"Alright girls, time to play outside."

"Will Mister Knight come play with us?"

Knight could not disappoint and nodded so Tai spoke, "He'll be out in a minute, I'm sure he'd want to rest for atleast a little before he goes out."

Promptly they went outside, and the two sat down, "Been a while since we've gotten any sort of company, especially like you... Thanks for looking out for my kid, I started getting worried when she wasn't in the house. Her mom is gone now and I'm all by myself. It's hard job, but I wouldn't trade it for any job in the world. You don't mind if I vent about my story, do you?"

Knight nodded and listened for the next while. He learned many things from their conversation, as he could not do much else. One piece of information among much if the rest was the absence of a woman in the house and the fact that Ruby and Yang were only half sisters. He's man that's seen things, but no where to vent. Though the now affectionately known 'Knight' could not speak himself, he could atleast lend an ear to a fellow parent.

After a good while he went outside to play with Ruby and Yang. Although, it was not so much playing as it was them dragging him around and showing him interesting items. It was so familiar and yet so heartbreaking. He felt as if he was reliving old moments, moments where children would be so happy to show something off. More specifically, his mind went to a single child. They hand no idea how much this time truly meant to him. He turned his head and saw a man with disheveled and scruffy facial hair.

Tai called from the porch and pointed at the man, "Hey, Knight, that there's the one I was talking about."

The man in archaic and seemingly-impenetrable armor, now affectionately known as 'Knight' focused on the newcomer. The man came taking a swig from his flask, barely paying attention. It was like he had an objective if coming here, yet it was almost like it was something so inevitable that it became a secondary objective. His primary would be that flask and getting intoxicated. He even looked down to the ground as he walked obliviously.

He neared and his eyes narrowed in accusation at Knight, "Who are you?"

Knight saw red eyes, immediately his suspicions turned to hostility. The eyes of the devil, red like blood, eyes of the sinful. Be they sinners or be they becoming, those with crimson will always sin. The same eyes that the undead demon bore. What else could be in his flask? Knight equipped his shield to his left arm, then put his left arm in front of him. Though a guest he may be, he could not be ignorant of such deep shades of red and an accusatory expression of hostility.

The man dashed forward with stunning speed, with the size of that sword, taking it directly doesn't seem the best idea. As he neared, he swung his sword down. Knight raised his shield and angled to his side. His oversized blade slid down, scraping the black shield. In an instant, Knight took his opportunity and with an open hand pressed against the guest's neck forcing him to the ground. He let go of his weapon as the weighty armor slammed him on his back. Without delay, the edge of a black shield was pushed against his throat.

Such speed is almost incomprehensible, though, such a straightforward attack would be unlikely to reach me. A hunter with not much experience in combat perhaps? Or perhaps his speed was reliable enough? Maybe his start wasn't so graceful as his build-up would have been.

He lift his armored frame off of his opponent, a victory is another day without a fight. He'd won his victory for the day, he need not win another. He had gotten to his feet just in time to hear Tai run over kicking up sand and rocks as he did.

Worriedly, Tai had made it to his long time friend and his newfound friend, "Wha... Why? What just, what just happened?"

"Oh, he's with you... Your friend's got a hell of a counter."

Knight, extended a hand to the defeated hunter, which the man took. It would seem he's more understanding than he looks. No malice after being bested is a truly rare trait, one that Knight could appreciate.

"So what's the deal? What's the story?"

"He can't talk... I guess you're still hot headed."

After a while, they came to an understanding. A few hours of conversation limited as it was, happened to be enlightening for the three of them. It was nice to have anyone to talk to. After such a long time with no contact of any kind, this was a nice change of pace. Though, even with such pleasantries, his search must continue. He notified them in the best way he could. He went to the children intending to attempt his goodbyes. With a few missed hand gestures he'd gotten his point across.

"M-mister, will you come back?" He gave a nod to the young Ruby.

"Yeah, you'll come play with us again right?" Again he gave a nod, kneeling and placing his hands on their heads and ruffling hair. Yang seemed to be a bit bothered, yet seemed to accept it shortly after.

I stood and kept my gaze to them. They truly are nice to have met, I am glad to have found Ruby and her family. To meet Tai and even the slightly too eager to draw Qrow. A very enjoyable time. I turned to step out the door, to be greeted by Qrow and Tai to see me off. I gave a nod and walked by.

"Come by again sometime, the kids love you, and I'd be more than happy to see you too," Tai waved and he returned to his direction.

The rays of light past the trees had turned to a reddish hue. He thought he might visit again, but this was hardly the time to stay.

Updated April 27, 2021 0:33 AM Pacifc Standard Time