Exploring the Ruins

Ace's POV

"Alright." Ray punched his gloved fists together and made his way toward the hallway. "She's gone, let's go."

"Go?" Ace echoed. "Why? She'll be back soon."

"Not to find her!" Ray snapped, rolling his eyes. "To explore! Don't you guys wanna see what's out in the Ruins?"

"Monsters that will kill us," Teri replied. "We shouldn't disobey Toriel."

"Besides, if we leave we'll get caught anyways," Ace added, sitting down against the wall.

"Well I'm going!" Ray exclaimed, turning toward his friends. "Who's with me?"

Poppy glanced at Clover. "Clover, keep an eye on him." Before Clover could protest, Poppy turned and stalked away through the doorway. Frisk made their way toward Ace, handing him the cell phone. He took it, raising an eyebrow at Frisk.

"I need to see what's out there," Frisk explained, nodding. "There's something I have to do... I can feel it."

"I'll go with you!" Kat offered, taking Frisk's hand. They smiled and nodded.

"Alright Ray," Clover sighed, tapping the younger kid's shoulder. "Let's split up. Frisk, Kat, you guys can go your own way. I'll keep an eye on Ray."

"Is splitting up really a good idea?" Kat asked, raising an eyebrow. "What if one of us gets hurt?"

"Then we'll have one other person to fall back on," Clover replied, twirling his toy gun in his hand. "It'll be fine." Kat clearly looked conflicted but said nothing.

"Let's go," Frisk murmured, gesturing to Kat. The two made their way through the hallway. Clover and Ray followed. They all disappeared through the doorway, leaving Ace alone with Teri. A ringing sound filled the air. Ace jumped as he put the phone against his ear, pressing a button to answer.

"Hello? This is Toriel," she greeted, her voice distorted in the receiver.

"Hi, mom," Ace greeted. His eyes instantly widened and he put his hand over his mouth.

"Did-did you just call me 'mom?'" she asked. Ace could picture a blush crawling up on Toriel's cheeks. If she could blush...

"It... slipped out."

"Well... I suppose... would that make you happy?" Toriel asked. "To call me 'mom?'"

"Yeah... kinda," Ace admitted, running his fingers through his long hair.

"Well then, you can call me what you like, my child."

"Thanks." Ace smiled. "Uh... why did you call?"

"Oh, I just wanted to make sure none of you left the room... none of you did, right?"

"No," Ace answered. "We're all still waiting in the room." Ace shrunk beneath Teri's hard gaze. It wouldn't be a lie if they all came back before she did... right?

"Oh good," Toriel sighed in relief. The sound through this phone sounded like blowing air into a microphone. "There are a few puzzles ahead that I have yet to explain. It would be dangerous to try to solve them yourselves." Ace's eyes widened. "Be good, alright?"

"Of course, mom," Ace replied, gripping his pounding heart. "We will, thanks." He hung up. Placing the phone aside, Ace exhaled hard, shaking as he did.

"Why did you lie to her?!" Teri demanded, grabbing the phone.

"I don't know," Ace grunted, wrapping his arms around his legs. "I just hope they get back before she does."