Chapter 03 - The Culprit

9.00AM, Friday (28th September)
Ae Ri's house...

Bamm!

Ae Ri was shocked at the sound of the door crashing. She ran downstairs to see what was happening.

"Oppa? Waeyo? Why are you tryna destroy the door?" She tried to joke but her brother, Kihyun looked very serious.

"Come here and see this, Ae Ri," He tried to sound as calm as he could. He handed a file to Ae Ri.

Hit And Run Case — Mapo-Gu (2012)

Ae Ri read through the file, and slowly her eyes turned wide. She put the file back on the table.

"What does this mean? They found the culprit?"
.
.
Flashback 2012

"Omma and appa are on the way back. Stay safe at home okay?" The call ended. Ae Ri, who was 14 years old at that time ran to his brother's room to inform him.

"Oppa! Oppa! Omma and appa are on their way back!" Kihyun looked at his sister, nodded and smiled widely. He then continued studying. He was in his first year of law school.

Two to three hours of waiting, but still, their parents didn't come home yet. Moments after that, they heard a knock on the door. Ae Ri was so excited thinking that their parents were finally back home.

She opened the door but the two people standing in front of her were not their parents. One of them leaned down and grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Please stay calm and listen to what I will say. We are from the police station. We are here to inform you that.." The police officer paused his sentence to take a deep breath.

"Your parents were involved in a car accident. Unfortunately, they.. They died. We came here to bring you.. And your brother to the hospital," The police officer noticed Kihyun who stood behind Ae Ri. He already teared up.

Ae Ri cried. She hugged her brother. Kihyun hugged her and also cried. They then followed the officers to the hospital. They became more sad when they saw the condition of their parents' corpses. It was so awful that they can't even look at them for too long.
.
.
"How can the accident happened? Did the police found any evidence or witness of the accident?" Kihyun asked the police officer who took them to the hospital. The police shook his head.

"That's the problem now, Kihyun-ah. We couldn't find any evidence or witness but it's obvious that the accident was a 'hit and run' by looking at your parents' car condition," Kihyun looked down to his feet. He sighed. The police officer tapped on his shoulder.

"We'll try to help you. Until it is solved. You're studying in law school, right? I'm pretty sure that one fine day, you'll be able to meet the culprit behind this accident. You'll be able to undergo prosecution towards him. I truly believe that," Since that, Kihyun studied really hard to achieve his dream to become a prosecutor and he managed to become one in 2016.
.
.
End of flashback
---------
Kihyun nodded.