Chapter 20

"Man this baozi is a masterpiece!" Exclaimed Wooyoung in between loud munches, eyes closing in delight.

"You're spilling it everywhere on my bed."

Wooyoung brushed the comment away. "I'll clean it later." San's bed was covered in take away boxes, as they both laid on their bellies in front of his laptop. "Now tell me again about king Taejo?"

San shook his head out of disbelief. "I literally told you his entire story five times."

The latter rolled on his side, attempting a cute face to coax the blond. "It's because I like hearing your voice." He widely smiled, as San shot him an unimpressed glare. "...Okay I wasn't listening 'cause a piece of lettuce was stuck in your hair the whole time."

San furiously shook his hair in order to get rid of the obnoxious green. "There, happy?" Though he tried to sound annoyed, he couldn't help but hide his smile. "Now I'll tell you again-"

"-Wait stop," cut the younger. "Let's do something else."

San sat up straight, a curious look on his face, half grinning. "Like what?"

"I don't know, let's just talk."

It was almost 11pm, and they had been studying for about an hour and a half. Since San's mother was at work, the boy guessed no one would force them to actually study. Thus he shrugged, laying on his back after brushing the boxes on the floor. "All right! Tell me about your life, fry guy."

"Stop calling me that, I swear to god!" Snapped Wooyoung. "Nothing much, though. Still working my ass off, doing shit with Seonghwa and being mad at Jihoo."

"Ha, I get that!"

"The little ass clown thinks he can get away with what he did! I'll cut off his water supplies!" Growled Wooyoung, throwing fists in the air to emphasize his words.

"That's cruel," smirked San.

"Oh I don't even care! I'll beat anybody who messes with you!"

San's heart skipped a beat at the words, face heating up. As much as he hated to admit, Wooyoung being protective made him feel a way that meant nothing good. But he wasn't in love with the younger! He just felt safe with him.

"That's reassuring!" He responded, perfectly hiding the heated debate that took place in his mind.

Wooyoung giggled. "Yeah, I'm never gonna give you up," he joked.

San waited a few seconds. "...Never gonna let you down..."

Immediately catching the reference, the younger male jumped on his feet, standing on the bed as he sang passionately: "NEVER GONNA RUN AROUND AND, DESERT YOUUUU!"

Laughing and standing up as well, San went on. "NEVER GONNA MAKE YOU CRY, NEVER GONNA SAYYY GOODBYE!" He stumbled on his feet, kicking another take out box across the room.

"NEVER GONNA TELL A LIE AND HURT YOUUU!" Sang Wooyoung, practically bouncing on the bed. A few minutes later, at the end of their small karaoke, both were red and out of breath, wide smiles spread across their faces as they dropped back on the mattress.

A comfortable silence followed. Wooyoung looked at San, feeling a mighty need to crash his lips on the latter's. "I think we should go out," he declared.

San beamed up. What? "I think I heard you wrong."

"We should go out," repeated the younger, unfazed.

The blond stood up. He wasn't in love with Wooyoung. He was in love with Yunho. He had been for years. Though he knew every time he thought about his best friend, he didn't get the familiar butterflies as he did a few months ago. And when the taller had confessed to him, he didn't feel relieved, nor was he thrilled about it...

"I-I'm sorry Wooyoung. You really should go, it's getting late." He waited a few seconds before adding: "I'm really sorry. I don't think I can feel the same way."

The look of pure defeat on the younger's face made San's heart clench and his eyes tear up. Seeing Wooyoung that way made him feel even more crushed than after moving to Seoul, more devastated than after Yunho's confession. But the purple haired male got up, throwing his jacket around his shoulders, and weakly smiled at San. "It's fine," he assured, before bolting out the door.

After a few seconds, San heard the front door open, then close. He closed his eyes shut, falling back on his bed, head in his hands. He knew he didn't love Wooyoung! But if that was true, why did he need to run after him? Why did it feel like every step the younger took away from his house, he dragged San's heart with him? The air seemed heavier, weighing on the boy as the hours passed. Everything had happened so fast.

Wooyoung loved San. He was entirely, absolutely in love with the older. He was in love with his laugh and his smile, in love with his stories, his ideas, infatuated with his voice and his depth. It had taken him a few months to realize it, but he couldn't deny that fact anymore. And now he had thrown it all away like an idiot, reacting the worst way possible as always.

Seonghwa would be proud, he ironically thought as he walked back to his house. God why am I so stupid?!

He unlocked the door, stepping inside his house. Head now empty of thoughts, he walked to the kitchen without taking off his shoes. Li Hee was cooking beef, and jumped in surprise as he tapped her shoulder.

"Here," he muttered, voice quiet, as he half-heartedly handed her a crumpled wad of bills. "I asked them to pay me cash today. Hope that's enough for the groceries." Without waiting for an answer, the boy turned away and heavily climbed the stairs to his room.

"This must be the single stupidest idea you've ever had," San had told him the first time they hung out together, the day they went to the Cheonggyecheon river. The blond had apparently underestimated his ability to have stupid ideas. Wooyoung half smiled, as he plopped on his bed. That day, San had implied that everyone was still a kid inside, which made him feel a lot better about his own childishness. But now, physically and emotionally drained, laying limply on his bed as tears fell down his temples, he wondered if that was what being an adult meant. Just a series of impulsive reactions and bad decisions. He wished he could take back that dumb sentence which had ruined it all, but he couldn't. The male knew what Seonghwa would tell him in that instant: "It's too late to go back, dumbass so just roll with it! Give it your all and hope for something!"

Wooyoung wiped his tears, brows knitting together as an even stupider idea took form in his mind.

••••••••
I'm publishing the finale next week, better get ready 😈