Chapter 11

There was an inexplicable tension at the table during lunchtime, fortunately toned down by the consistent noise from other tables. No one knew exactly what had happened, but everyone had their idea, seeing that Mingi and Yunho weren't sitting at their usual spots. Both hadn't said a word, and Yunho's eyes appeared slightly swollen and red, as if he had held back tears the whole morning. Mingi's brows were furrowed and he avoided the others' gazes. He was unconsciously tapping his index on the table, a habit he could never quite get rid of when he was angry.

Since no one seemed ready to adress the elephant in the room, Hongjoong and Jongho desperately tried to hold a decent, small talk conversation. On the other hand, Yeosang and Seonghwa had given up trying to break the unsettling ambiance, and both quietly ate their food, the oldest quietly sipping his coffee while keeping his eyes low.

Taken aback by the unexpected turn of events -the obvious breakup-, Wooyoung and San exchanged short glances from across the table. They hadn't talked about their moment on Saturday night, and had spent the next day going back to Seoul, talking about school and Namhae. It was as if nothing had happened. San felt like if he tried to bring the subject up, he'd make Wooyoung uncomfortable and the male would close himself off again. So he acted as always.

"I gotta go study for the physics exam," bluntly declared Mingi, his voice lower than usual, as he stood up, his chair scraping on the steer white floor. His voice had a slight gruff to it that sent shivers down Wooyoung's spine, making him both nervous and kind of aroused. In other circumstances, he would've found it super hot, but hearing it now made Wooyoung realize the state he was in. Mingi was truly, deeply affected by the end of this relationship.

Minutes flew by fast, and by the time the bell rang, Wooyoung was still cogitating, nonchalantly making his way towards class with his hands in his pockets. He longed to make Mingi feel better, but didn't want to come off nosy, like he was intruding the taller's privet life.

But Wooyoung shook his thoughts away as he entered class, late again. He was supposed to forget about Mingi, not take this opportunity to get closer to him!

"Mister Choi!"

San slightly jumped at the voice that hissed his name. Man, why am I so distracted these days?!
He was in history class, and apparently, Mister Yoo was feeling especially sensitive that day. This was San's second class with him, and the teacher had made it clear his classes would be as boring as he'd be hostile to the blond student.

"I'm ready to tolerate your being late to class," Mister Yoo sounded, his voice threatening. "But at least have the decency to pretend you're listening. I'll have to slip a word to the principal about your behavior."

San's face paled. This was the first time a teacher warned him he'd talk to the principal. If Mister Yoo really intended to do so, the blond would be added to the unspoken list of problem students, and considered like some kind of bad seed. Plus, his mother would be furious. San's heart sank, the images of his mother working more than sixty hours a week making him feel even more ashamed. They had moved all the way to Seoul for his scholarship, only for him to throw all of his mother's efforts out the window by not listening in class and forgetting to do his homework.

Very well aware he was over thinking things as always, the blond still felt a horribly familiar pressure behind his eyes.

Come on pull yourself together, he snapped at himself, as the teacher went on with his class. Suddenly, he felt a light touch grazing his wrist. The boy turned to see Yunho's reassuring face.

San knew his friend enough to recognize what this expression meant. 'Everything's going to be okay.' The blond softly smiled, letting Yunho's soothing aura envelop him, his kind eyes like a balm on his heart. San silently thanked his best friend.

Towards the end of the class, students were working individually, most of them talking or listening to music. While San conscientiously completed their homework pages, he suddenly felt a presence hovering over his desk. Mister Yoo leaned so only him could hear, and spoke, his words cold and merciless. "I've been told you're spending more and more time with Mister Jung Wooyoung." San raised his head, surprised. Why was he bringing up Wooyoung? "I suggest you quickly review your friendships," he added lower, "or else I won't be surprised if you end up like that thug."

"Hey blondie!"

For the second time that day, the boy's name was called, but this time, covered by the loud voices of students.

The day was over, and Yunho had left quicker than usual, leaving San to pack his things alone. "Yeah?" The boy forced a smile on his lips, briefly looking at Wooyoung while continuing to fill his bag with unnecessary homework.

"I have a proposition to make," chimed the purple haired male, eyebrows wiggling as he leaned on a locker. "Come to my house tonight!"

San threw his bag over his shoulder, and finally turned toward the younger. "On what occasion?"

None of them had ever been to the other's house, and this felt somewhat sudden.

"I want to," shrugged Wooyoung, after a short moment of silence.

San sighed. "Heh, I don't know, I'm feeling kind of down right now... Maybe I should just head back home and catch some sleep."

Wooyoung's smile faded, and he scooted towards San while the blond closed his locker, averting his gaze. "Wait what's wrong?"

The few students left in the corridors were making their way out, leaving place for a silence that graced San's ears. He massaged his temples, feeling a coming headache. "It's nothing, really. Just that Mister Yoo again."

"All right come with me." The younger grabbed his hyung by the arm and gently lead him outside the school halls. The sun had set earlier and earlier during the last week, and was already casting the day's last shadows on the wide school grounds. A small group of male students were smoking at the gates, laughing about something. Either studying or waiting for a lift, a few other teens were scattered on the lawn, which was already covered by a thin layer of frost.

"Are we going to your house?" Mused San. He had given up on changing the other's mind a long time ago.

"Bingo."

They were walking side by side towards the school gates when one of the smoking boys glared at Wooyoung. He pulled a last puff on his cigarette, before dropping it on the grass and putting it out with his tiptoe. He then took a step towards the purple haired boy. Everyone of the boys was now quietly staring at the pair.

San gulped, already having a bad feeling about what would come next, petrified by every scenario he could come up with.

"Wooyoung," greeted the young man, in a falsely affectionate tone.

"Ji Hoo," replied Wooyoung. His hands were still his pockets and he displayed a perfectly laid back attitude. Though San noticed his jaw had clenched and his eyes seemed cautious.

"You know what you owe me."

"In time," sharply sneered Wooyoung.

Said Jihoo took a step further. He was slight built but was a head taller than the other, making San feel extremely intimidated. "You know what you did, and what you stole. I'm tired of waiting."

"Come on man. You know it'll take some time. No need to get violent."

Jihoo scoffed. "I ain't getting violent. I'm taking back what's mine." He paused, leaning to face the other. Wooyoung didn't flinch back, calmly holding Jihoo's glare. But he had taken his hands out of his pockets and was tightly clenching his fists. "Right now," snarled the taller.

"I don't have anything on me," answered Wooyoung with a smug smile, leaning back on his heels.

"Right," nodded Jihoo.

San, who until now had silently watched the scene unfold before him, let out a frightened gasp as Jihoo roughly roughly gripped his arm and pulled him close. "Is he your buddy?" Questioned the young man, cocking his head to the side. San's breathing hitched.