Chapter 6

San faced-desked himself. "God, why am I so distracted these days?"

He had been working on his history essay for hours, but couldn't seem to find inspiration anywhere. Bizarrely enough, he kept wondering what Wooyoung had planned for them next. He was still traumatized by the bee costume, but found himself pleased to spend some time unworried and carefree. Plus, as much as it pained him to admit, he was growing fond of Wooyoung. "Maybe he'll take us on a vacation or something," he snickered. The perspective of leaving Seoul for a few days was extremely appealing at the moment. Especially with all the drama Yunho was going though, maybe all of them deserved a little break.
And then, his mind wandered to the conversation they had in the school's park at noon.

'Mingi is getting especially paranoid these days, and I don't know how I should feel,' had lamented Yunho. 'I'm realizing how jealous he can get, and it's making me feel bad.'

San's brows had furrowed. 'How so?'

'I don't want him to feel that way! I don't want him to feel that I love anyone else than him! He'll always be my only one.'

San had held back a comment about how fast Yunho declared that. 'Well you should tell this to Mingi,' he had ventured instead, trying to hide the resentfulness in his voice.

'You're right, perhaps I should,' had smiled Yunho, shaking his head.

"Whatever." San rose from his chair, both palms on his desk. He once again needed to get his mind off of his best friend. He looked around his room, until he found a small piece of paper.

************ call me whenever! :) Wooyoung

San grabbed his phone and typed the number. The line rung three times before Wooyoung answered.
"Hello?"

San hesitated for a second. Why did he call him again? "Hey!"

The line went silent, then Wooyoung giggled with his signature laugh at the other end. "Is that it?"

"Wait no! I wanted to talk!"

"About what, Sannie?"

The boy's heart skipped a beat at the nickname. He had never gotten close enough to anyone for him to earn a nickname, except maybe Yunho, who simply called him San. "I don't know. Tell me a story?"

Wooyoung's laugh sounded louder this time. "Is THAT why you called?"

San blushed, opening his mouth to defend himself, but Wooyoung cut it off. "All right, don't work yourself up, I'll tell you a story. It's the story of..." He appeared to be thinking for a second, almost as if he was enjoying the momentum. San, laying on his bed, a hand behind his head, waited eagerly. "...A young boy! He dreamed to be a magician. He had a sketch book, which he took with him everywhere."

San shot up, resting on his free hand. "How did you know this, you stalker?" The younger chuckled, obviously proud of himself.

"Seonghwa told me, after lunchtime. You used to attend the same middle school, right?"

San relaxed again, laying back on his pillow. "Yeah. All right ok, go on then."

"In that sketch book," resumed Wooyoung, "he'd draw himself in a magician costume, and note all kinds of crazy illusions he wanted to try. But one day, a girl from his class found the book and showed it to the other kids, who all started making fun of him. Seonghwa told me he was the only one who didn't mock the boy, but was still too hesitant to help him. One day, some dudes were laughing at the little boy. 'Stupid San,' they said. 'Real magicians have powers!' Seonghwa then decided to go defend him, but when he arrived, the boy was already walking away merrily, like nothing had happened."