Chapter Nine ~ Time's a Wastin'

The keystone worked much easier than Ari had expected. It had a sigil carved deep into one side: three circles of varying sizes connected by a diagonal line. "The Eoligos sigil," Charlie said. "For turning the invisible into the visible. It's what makes the keystone work." She turned the stone over and traced another sigil onto its glass-like surface-a cross with a loop at the top. It glowed red before fading away. "And the Eden sigil, so we get the right door." And just like that, the mirrored door appeared.

Charlie pocketed the keystone. "These are better than Soul Traveling because you don't leave your body susceptible."

"Susceptible to what?"

"Hellish pain, for one. Death. The kind of stuff that could ruin your weekend." She nodded at the door. "Look familiar? I've never used the Eden sigil before."

A rush of cold air leaked out from underneath the door; Ari's chest tensed with anticipation. "It's the one." She reached for the polished handle.

A rushing sound filled her ears as she fell through the door. The world twisted and turned before righting itself. When she opened her eyes, she was in the Nightmare Forest. Huge, wet snowflakes fell and melted as they touched her skin. Clumps of them stuck to her eyelashes, obscuring her vision.

"You could have warned us," grumbled Charlie. She huddled closer to Mai, who had just stumbled through the door.

Ceph followed a few seconds later. As soon as his moccasins touched the snow, the door faded into the dark. He looked around thoughtfully. "I haven't been in Eden since Uriel evicted Adam and Eve."

Ari's eyes widened in surprise. Ceph didn't look much older than her. She opened her mouth to ask him how old he was, and then snapped it shut again. She shoved the thought aside. It doesn't matter.

"You know," said Charlie, "the name Ceph doesn't sound very angel-like."

He shrugged. "There are thousands of us. Do you know how confusing it would be if everyone's name ended in 'el?'"

"I couldn't care less about angel names right now," said Mai, shivering. "I can't feel my face."

"I'm sorry." Ari wished they'd had more time to prepare. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm just as miserable as you."

"At least you have that coat," Charlie said. "Where did you get it anyway? It looks vintage."

"It's Sam's." Ari was only half-listening as she pivoted in a circle.

"Which way do we go?" Mai asked through chattering teeth.

Ari gazed at the starless sky. The moon looked like a luminous globe suspended against a black backdrop. Sam had said it never changed position here. She knew heading toward it would lead them deeper into the Nightmare Forest, and eventually right into a den of daevas. "This way," she said, putting the moon at her back. She hoped she was right.

The wind bit and nipped at any skin it could reach. Ari drew the collar of Sam's coat up around her ears and glanced sideways at Charlie and Mai. The two of them huddled together. Ceph, on the other hand, didn't look bothered at all.

"Can't you do anything to help them?" Ari said in a low voice.

Ceph shook his head. "This place is isolated from heaven, which means so am I."

Ari willed her legs to move faster. "Why did you all want to come with me?" Maybe talking would help them take their minds off their frozen hands and feet. At this point, Ari was willing to try anything.

Charlie wrapped her arm around Mai before answering. "I came because I've always wanted to see what the Darklands were like. It's weird though; Lena made me promise I wouldn't set foot here until I was dead."