Chapter 24

That's two down... one more to go :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(recap)

As I neared my mother’s bedroom door, my heart beats were thunderous and my breathing grew three times heavier. I touched the handle and it was cold as ice, like it was put into a freezer for a few days but I ignored the burning cold and gripped it tight as I turned the door handle. The paleness of my skin stood out against the mahogany coated wood as I pressed my free hand against the door to push it open.

I could hear faint voices, one was the gasping sounds of my moms and the other was too low to make out the owner, but I could tell it was a male from the baritone sound of his voice.

Taking a deep breathe I pushed open the door.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 24

I pushed the door open and what I saw made my breathe leave my lungs in a rush of air.

Standing over my mom in a kind of shadowy mist was Ethan. He seemed to be generating the dark mist, no more like a part of it, kind of like the bad guys in Harry Potter… erm what do you call them?... Death Eaters.

I could barely make out his body which was clouded by the Smokey black mist but I could clearly see his face, as well as his right arm, seen as those where the only things stretched out of the black smoke. The smoke moved around him like a snake slithering up and down his arm. His Hair blended into the smoke like it was alive, moving to an invisible breeze. His eyes were fully black, like those demons in Supernatural and he was ghostly pale.

But that wasn't what made me stop breathing, it was the fact that he looked like he was pulling something out of my mom, like a white light. I watched as he grasped it in his palm, and then closed his fist around it as if to squish the light out. The smoke grew and snaked up his arm as it got closer it swallowed the last bit of light. The black smoke was like the inky claw like fingers I saw at the hospital, he looked like he was feeding it to the smoke, like it was a pet or something.

I watched as my mother took her last breathe as the light vanished. I could feel my tears brimming, because I knew she was gone, just like the light that disappeared into that black inky smoke. My sadness was short lived as I felt my anger rise to the surface to quickly replace my despair.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?" I screamed at Ethan, but he seemed shocked, like he wasn't expecting to see me. He didn't answer me; he just kept that blank look on his face.

"I SAID WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?" I screamed again, picking up a nearby vase and chucking it at him, but it passed right through him crashing against the wall behind him. He didn't even move, or try to dodge it, and when it passed right through him, doing nothing but stirring the smoke to make it look like it swallowed the vase too, I got even angrier. Was he some kind of ghost too? What is he?

"Violet…" He finally said, sounding like it was a sad plea. Why is he sad? He just killed my mom.

"YOU KILLED HER. YOU - YOU MURDERER… YOU KILLER HER!" I screamed at him. He made a move towards me, and I ripped his stupid necklace off and threw that at him as well, I didn’t want anything to do with him, but he just kept up his approach never slowing.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK." He winced when I called him a freak and he turned his black smoke off, so that he could look like the Ethan I know… the Ethan I fell in love with. So he could look... Human.