Chapter 29

(recap)

He was smiling which was never a good thing. He opened his arms like he wanted to give me a hug and around him the shadows started moving. From the ground it looked like people where climbing out of it, but they were entirely black, like a silhouette. The mist swirled and the wind started to pick up to a howl, whipping my hair around me. Some of the silhouetted men started to morph into beasts, monsters both flying and crawling.

I could hear their screeching and growls, wanting to be set free, waiting for an order, a sign to be unleashed.

I heard D whisper into my mind, “If I were you, I would run. I took a stepped back just as D brought his arms down and pointed it towards me, unleashing the shadow demons on me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 29

I turned and ran, I could her the shadow creatures behind me, howling and screeching their joy at the chase, the prospect of a hunt. I stumbled a bit tripping over exposed tree root but managed to right myself on a stone angel’s outstretched hand.

I was weird how that angel was there to catch me when I was facing what appeared to be the end and I didn’t want to think about it.

I glanced back and it looked like the creatures were gaining ground. I ran all out, wishing I hadn’t skipped PT so much, dodging head stones as I went. I heard my dress rip, to accommodate the long strides I was taking. I kicked off my high heels in the process because they were only slowing me down, getting stuck in the moist ground as I went.

I neared the parking area and sprinted, the burst of energy coming from nowhere almost as if seeing salvation up ahead had given me the extra speed I needed to get away. I noticed that my aunt had left already and all that was left was my beat up bug and my two best friends.

“GET IN THE CAR!” I shouted at them, but they continued to stare at me in confusion. I neared them and rushed to the driver’s seat.

“Violet what the hell is going on? Did you see a ghost again? And where are your shoes?”

“No worse than a ghost. Throw me the keys.” I shouted towards them. Luckily the car was open already so I just slid in.

“What’s worse than a …” Van’s words died when the shadow creatures neared with the screeching and howling. Both Vicky and Van turned and saw them just as the first wave reached the peak of the hill in the cemetery.

“What the hell are those things?” Vicky said taking a step back.

“GET IN.” I shouted at them as I tried to get my nerves under control, the adrenaline pumping through me was making me shake uncontrollably.

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” Van said as she climbed shotgun as Vicky took the back seat. Van passed the keys on to me with shaky hands.

I turned the key and the car choked.

“Come on, come on. Not now, anytime but now” I said in a mantra, as I kept turning the key to start the dang thing.

“WHAT’S TAKING SO LONG? START THE CAR Vi.” Van shouted as she glanced behind us at the ever approaching creatures.

“WHAT THE HELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE I’M TRYING TO DO?” I shouted back in frustration. Turning the key again and again.

“Guys…” Vicky said in a quiet trembling voice, but Van and I just ignored her. I needed to get this stupid car started.

“Come on baby. You and I go way back. I really need you today.” I said pumping the gas and trying to sweet talk the car into starting. What? It usually works.