unended

Nikki knew this day will come - if not today, on the coming days for sure. Whether she's ready or not, she can't really tell.

--

The day is bright and lively.

It had been a while - almost two years of being far with limited connections. A lot had changed. Nikki feels like a stranger in her own town yet she still feels comfortable. Maybe because it has always been her safe zone.

All her friends are excited to see her when they heard that she had come back, missing her presence. And she feels really grateful for the attention. Not that she seek for it, but she just realized how blessed she is with all the people around her.

"Happy birthday to you.. Happy birthday to you... ", Nikki's thought was cut off when the restaurant's personnel started singing a lively birthday song. All her nephews and nieces are singing as lively, too.

Today is her Mom's 60th birthday and the family decided to eat out to celebrate. It feels like a double celebration for Nikki.

"Happy birthday Ma", she greeted and gave her Mom a hug.

"I'm glad that you're here with us iha", her Mom whispered as she hugged her back. That made her smile.

It was just two weeks ago when she came back. At first, she could still feel her family's sympathetic look at her. Like she would break down at any minute. But later, they'd realized that she's better now. A lot better than before she had been gone.

~

"Tita, I saw the toy I was telling you last week. You can buy me one today..", her 5-year old nephew, Zac, suddenly butt in after they finished their meal.

"What? I was just joking when I said that", she replied teasingly.

"Nana, Aunt Nikki said she will buy me that right?... ", he called to her grandma, as if asking for help.

"You know he will not stop Nikki", her Mom answered. Nikki chuckled.

"Alright, alright. I was kidding, of course,  I will buy you one", she finally said, making the kid smile.

"Yes!", he exclaimed excitedly.

"Go ahead Mom. We'll just pass by the toy shop quickly then will follow you at the parking lot after."

"Let's go, Tita! ", cried her nephew, pulling her right hand while running towards the toy shop. She let him.

It's a relieve for her how light-hearted kids are. One simple answer and they stopped asking questions about where and why she left. They greeted her with the hug that she needed all this time. Just like that, they treat her like she hasn't been gone for more than a year.

"Here!", it was Zac holding a Minecraft lego set.

"Okay, let's pay for that now. I'm sure the others are waiting for us."

"Thank you, Tita! "

"You're welcome. That will be the last", she said, teasing her nephew again.

"Last for this week!!", Zac answered back wittingly, running ahead of her towards the parking lot.

She can't help but smile. She had missed the presence of her family around. She's a lot better now, far from the Nikki that had lost herself after the break up. She appreciate everything around her more. She still thinks deeply, yes, but a lot more positive than before.

Nikki walks faster to catch up with her nephew who's excitedly running. She's about to grab Zac's hand when she noticed someone familiar walking in their direction.

She skipped a beat.

The guy wasn't really looking at them, just merely walking while talking with his companion - as lively as he used to be.

Their paths are about to cross when he finally look forward - just the right time to meet her eye.

He stopped talking.

Nikki smile. And continue walking - pass him.

"Someone you know?", Zac asked like he noticed the reaction, looking back to where they saw him.

"Yes", Nikki nod, still smiling. She finally hold the kid's right hand and ask him "Let's go?"

Zac look back at her, returning her smile, "Okay."

She is totally fine. That is what Nikki realized from the encounter. Still healing, yes,  but she had moved on a lot farther now.

Her relationship with Ivan might have ended, but not her story. So she promise she will continue living. After all, she's not alone - never had been and never will.

~