Chapter Twenty-Nine

——————————————————————————
Margaret was only twelve years old when the older man had his way with her. He kidnapped her, abused her, and did...the unspeakable.

At this point, Margaret lost hope. She was sure that no one, not even her adoptive father, would find her and rescue her. Besides, she had already gotten used to the horrible treatment three weeks after she was taken.

The man was old. Like, he looked like that he was in his sixties. He had short, white hair and a dirty, white beard. The only clothes that he owned were a dark green jacket, jeans, and brown shoes. According to Margaret, he was a mess and smelly.

Do you know that saying? That you should respect your elders. It is true...to a certain point.

If an elderly person is abusing you, whether it be emotionally or physically, you have the right to stand up for yourself and even defend yourself. That is what Margaret did.

Or at least, tried to.

The old man did not treat her like a human being. He treated her like a pig. Actually, worse than a pig.

He had her locked up in a cage that was so small that Margaret had to bring up her knees to her chest and curl herself into a ball. The only time when he allowed her out of the cage was when he desired to have his way with her.

It was no surprise that Margaret was at first scared about what he was planning to do to her. But after a while, she got used to it.

She was not allowed to eat anywhere but inside the cage, and because the man did not provide much food for her, usually a glass of water and a small piece of bread, she was losing weight.

Luckily for her, the cage and poor choice of food did not last.

The old man took notice that Margaret was not resisting him anymore and always doing what he wanted. So he began giving more and better food and no longer kept her in the cage.

Another week passed before a rescue party arrived at the man's house. Mr. Hawk and his friends had finally found her.

Margaret had her clothes on and was lying on top of the old man's bed when her adoptive father came into the bedroom. He teared up when he saw her for the first time in days.

"Margaret."

She immediately saw him and sat up. Her heart was pounding, and her eyes filled with tears.

"Dad?"

"Yes, sweetie. I am taking you back home."

"Dad!" She scrambled off the bed and ran to him.

Mr. Hawk welcomed her with open arms, and she hugged him, nearly tackling him in the process.

They were reunited, and the old man was thankfully arrested and charged with child abuse and other things.

Margaret thought that it was all behind her. She assumed that she only had to deal with the terrible experience in her memorizes.

Sadly, it did not end there.

A month later, she had recovered and was back to her usual self. Her happy and silly self.

It was her birthday - her favorite day ever - and she and her new family was having a blast. As usual, Mr. Hawk showered her with gifts, and each of the creatures gave her one present. Of course, she loved all the new stuff that she received.

Little did she know that her own body was keeping a present from her. That is, until she got morning sickness.

She rushed to the bathroom, did her thing, and looked in the mirror.

"Aw, man. Why did I have to get sick on my birthday?"

Worries got to her, and she opened a drawer that was below the sink and convincingly had one of those pregnancy tests.

She pulled it out and clutched it tightly. "I had better not be."

Minutes later, Margaret checked it - and was on the verge of crying her heart out.

The pregnancy test came back positive. She was pregnant.

Her hand shaking, she dropped it, and it clattered to the floor.

"I-I cannot be pregnant. There are so many things that I wanted to do in my life. But I never wanted children!" Margaret pulled on her hair. "Am...am I pregnant with that man's baby? No...no! Stanley never desired children either! If...if he found out...that I am pregnant...he will surely want to break up with me. So...I have to keep it a secret from the family."

Margaret heard the bathroom door open, quickly scooped up the pregnancy test device, and stuffed it back in the drawer. She shut the drawer as she saw that it was her father, Mr. Hawk.

"Margaret, are you feeling well?" Mr. Hawk asked. "I would hate for you to be sick on your birthday."

"Y-yeah. I feel fine now. I think that it is some stomach flu."

"Do you want to lie down?"

"No thank you. If I start feeling sick again, then I will. But enough about this stupid sickness. I really want to get back to opening my presents."

He chuckled softly. "I was hoping that you would say that."

Months passed, and her belly was getting bigger and bigger. Oddly enough, no one, not even Mr. Hawk, seemed to catch on.

Margaret knew that they would figure it out sooner or later. After all, she explained to them what that man did to her. She would be crushed if they knew that she was pregnant.

That night, she reached a hard decision.

While everyone else was asleep, Margaret took a suitcase of Mr. Hawk's and packed it with everything that she wanted to take with her. When the suitcase was filled, she grabbed a bag and put in her bow and arrow.

When she was all packed up, she quickly and quietly went down the stairs and left.

"I have to get rid of this baby."
——————————————————————————