Friendly Competition

J.

The gym staff has always been more like a family to me then my actual one. Especially Coach. In fact, he'd most likely be the drunk uncle in the family. The thought alone makes me stifle a chuckle. I hope he isn't too disappointed I haven't been going to the gym more often.

Fondly, I remember how happy Coach was when he heard that I was coming today. I don't regret calling him and letting him know. He also mentioned that a relatively new gym member would be coming in. Someone he wanted me to meet who showed a lot of promise. Why he wants me to meet them? No. Idea.

My phone vibrates as a message pops up on the screen. Checking to see the name I groan. It is from my father I ignore it and shove the phone back into my pocket.

The "Nairobi Athletics" sign appears around the corner. I re-shoulder my canvas bag and walk ahead. A flash of warmth runs through my body as the sun appears through the chilly atmosphere. My breath forms a cloud in front of my face. I giggle like a child, Today needs to be a good day.

------------------

Pushing through the door, all eyes turn to me... I then hear a familiar voice.

"Jour. You've finally come back I was starting to think you were still mad I ate the cinnamon rolls you left in the fridge."

"Wait. You were the one who ate them?! COACH!" I yelled. He looked around him in a panic realizing his mistake and tried to stealthily slide away. While I was glaring at him...

"You stay right there Mister and take your punishment." A woman's voice says. A smug grin takes form on my face as I turn to see my favorite french woman on this side of the world. Miss Ensoille: Coach's girlfriend.

"Hi. Miss E! Coach ate my cinnamon rolls and is trying to run off." I pout and mock cry as she wraps her arms around me protectively.

"Wha...Wha." Coach says confused and scared. Miss E snaps her head to him with a mean look. She takes off her slipper and throws it at him hitting him perfectly on the forehead. He walks over with a defeated look and rubs his head giving me $5. I give Miss E a hug and stick out my tongue at Coach.

"Anyways. There was someone you wanted me to meet Coach?"

"Ah Yes. As you should know you are my precious little gem who I love."

"Way to go Coach trying to suck up. We all love her here. She's our little sister." Fort rubs my hair and laughs at my face. I frown as I try to fix the hair I actually attempted at Today. Ensoille smiles while walking away waving to me.

"ANYWAYS. I wanted you to meet one of my other best students who has been training here for a short while. They are exercising with the punching bags I think." I look over to see who he is talking about.

"Although there might be a problem." Coach sheepishly rubs his head while looking away. I squint my eyes suspiciously.

"What?"

"They might think you are a boy?"I take in a deep breath before almost lunging at the Coach barely being held back by Fort. "YOU TOLD HIM I WAS A BOY?!"

"W-Wait. It wasn't me I swear! I never mentioned gender...Not Once!" Coach stammers trying to get me off his case.

--------------------------------