What's it to you?

J.

I wake up with a startled expression. Sweat droplets running down my forehead. My shirt clings to my back. I had woken up to the same nightmare. The one that brought me back to the incident all those years ago. I wish it wasn't the only one I ever remembered. Looking at the side of my bed the alarm ready at 5:15 am. My hand lifts the sheets over my head and my eyes close. I had stayed up working on homework to give in to my tutor.

That day I had woken up in my room, my bed turned into a hospital bed of sorts. My parents guaranteed me everything was fine. Apparently, the police arrived on the scene to me knocked out on the floor. My sister and the suspicious man missing.

"Supposedly," they have been searching for her ever since. I hardly believe anything they say anymore. Who knows what they even do behind the countless curtains I'm not allowed to venture past?

A beeping sound startled me out of my thoughts. I winced the sound getting on my nerves. My eyes looked over landing on my black alarm.

Stupid alarm. No point in having you when my nightmares wake me anyways. It wasn't the alarm's fault that my family was this messed up... Poor Alarm, Poor Me. The door creaked open and a head popped in.

"Breakfast is ready. Come down as soon as possible."

I stared at my mother blankly. Although I didn't like her, I had to admit she put in the effort to pretend.

I lifted a thumbs up and my mother smiled in satisfaction. I kicked the sheet off, lifted my feet off the bed and plugged out the alarm. She stood there awkwardly at the door before leaving abruptly.

I approached my closet and took out a simple black bottom and a blue shirt. I stared at myself in the mirror, wondering how I ended up here. I was tired, so tired of it all. The same cycle every day with no change.

I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth. After getting dressed I grabbed my notepad and pencil heading downstairs.

My father greeted me with a smile. "Good morning. How are you?"

It was painful watching every day as they tried to get me to talk to them. I rarely did as it always gave them too much hope. They didn't deserve hope. I gave him a nod, as I place my notepad down and sit for breakfast. My mother sits down by the table between my dad and I. We all begin to eat: nothing can be heard besides the clinking of forks on plates.

"So are you ready for today, Journey? We will be meeting the Dains' for dinner. Their electronics company is becoming influential it would be beneficial to partner with them. Look over the portfolio in your room.

I flinched slightly. Ever since Astre went missing they've been trying to absorb me into their company. My parents are the #1 wholesale seller in the country. They sold various items instore and online. I was given briefing portfolios on whoever or whatever I would be helping them deal with each day.

I didn't necessarily want to inherit the company but I recognized it would be worth it to learn more about the company. I had a feeling there was more then they let on.

"Understood," I mumbled; it was one of the few words I ever said.

My mother hummed pleased. She put more food on my plate as we ate in silence. I excused myself then headed up the stairs.

Once I closed my room door I slid down onto the floor. I locked it and looked around. I had plans for today that I needed to get out the way. I walked towards my trusty canvas bag. I heard light footsteps on the stairs as I looked through it. It already had my hoodie, drinks, snacks, and other necessities.

"Journey. Sweetheart. We will be heading to the company. Please get dressed. It'd be great for you to come in and get some experience." My mother said knocking on the door.

"I have plans already. I should be back in time for dinner. If not don't wait for me." I said as grabbed the portfolio my dad was talking about and stuffed it in my bag.

I looked around my room for some must-haves. My phone for information and the such and my notepad that I always carry to write down important things.

"Journey. Open the door. You have more work to do. We don't have time for this. I am giving you to the count of 10 or I open it myself."

I rolled my eyes as I opened my room window. It made a slight screeching sound as I heard a key jiggle by the door.

"Journey. Please don't do this again. I'm too sick for this. We understand its hard getting used to running a business. We will slow down the workload."

Don't bother I'm not coming back for a while. I wish I could say but I was too busy hooking my feet out the window.

As if she could hear me, she yelled out "Sweetheart you're gonna have a little sibling soon."

I paused, my foot on the emergency ladder and my bag next to it.

My eyes widened in anger. Our arguments had finally toned down and she brings up this? This family barely functioned with just the three of us. An endless cycle that didn't seem as if it would change. And now they were trying to bring someone else into this dysfunctional family. I'd die before I let her manipulate an innocent child.

"Y-You're lying to me." My eyes are pushed together trying to hold in the tears. "All these years you've told me you loved me and Astre and you were dedicated to finding her. You're just trying to get me to come b-

I am grabbed and pulled back onto my bed. I look behind me to see one of my parents bodyguards. My mother and father are behind him my fathers face red. My heartbeat started to rapidly increase as I start breathing fast. 'I don't hear another word before a slight push on my neck knocks me out. My eyes begin to lose focus, my eyelashes blocking my vision. I slowly welcome the pitch-black view. It feels as if I was in a fight to stay above water, the energy in my arms and legs giving out to water flooding my system.

"Make sure to call in a private doctor."

I didn't hear the rest as I pass out my eyes slowly closing as I fall backward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~