Chapter 8: Meanest Rocket Proton

Chapter 8: Meanest Rocket Proton

Soon, Syoran arrived and led us into the city. It was very…loud. True to its name, battles were taking place almost everywhere. We tried to avoid most of them. Syoran had reserved a room at the Pokémon Center for us, but it took forever to get there because we constantly had to scoot past very dangerous combatants brawling in the streets.

“Hey! Watch it!” Nine shouted as a Machoke flew through the air. He ignored us, leaping right back up and promptly getting tossed into the air again by the Charizard he was fighting. But despite the danger, we did eventually reach the Pokémon Center. As we approached the door, a group of trainers in black leather exited the Center. They froze when they saw us and looks of disgust crossed their faces. I growled. They were all staring at me and my hackles rose under their open scorn. Syoran tried to push past them, but one, an average height man with green hair and a cruel expression, blocked his way. Syoran pulled up short.

“May I pass?” he asked nicely. Too nicely in my opinion. I growled at them. The man noticed this and leered at me.

“Your Absol is poorly trained,” he said.  I tossed my head proudly. “Of course, they’re not meant to be trained. Just shot, skinned, and their fur sold to make a profit.”

“That’s what you think!” I snapped. Then, I caught a whiff of his scent and frowned. He smelled…familiar somehow.

“Careful,” Syoran said, , “I think he heard you. And you’re right, he is poorly trained. Almost wild, in fact. I might not be able to stop him in time if he tries to attack.” I blinked in surprise, but then grinned. I liked this side of Syoran. He wasn’t one to back down.

“I remember this group of Absol around Fortree,” the man said, continuing, “weather was going crazy. Locals were getting scared, which is bad for our business. So, we shot them all and when the weather went back to normal, we convinced them it had been the Absols all along. The Absol’s Curse, we called it. Pity we couldn’t sell the pelts to them afterwards. No one wanted a coat made from a cursed Pokémon. But we managed to sell them in the next region over, so I guess it all worked out anyway.”

I was frozen in shock. Fortree! That was where I was…where my family…when I was…

“You BASTARD!” I howled, “It was you! YOU KILLED THEM! I remember you now! You were the one who stood back while the others fired!” I lowered my blade, aiming at his stomach. “I think I’ll kill you right now!” I saw a flicker of fear cross his face.

“Crobat! Wing Attack!” he shouted. Out of the sky came a four-winged purple bat that slammed into me and knocked me to the ground. It circled me, glaring and daring me to get up. A voice in the back of my head told me to stay down. That Crobat was really powerful. I ignored it.

“I’m going to gut you like a-oof!” The crobat slammed into me again and knocked me down. This time, I didn’t get up, but resorted to venomous glares.

 The man looked relieved. “You should keep him on a tighter leash.”