Chapter Seven: Fighting and Making up

Temporarily forgetting we were in the middle of a fight for our lives, I lashed out, rushing toward Roran in a blind rage. My palm collided with the side of his face, leaving red welts in its place.

"Are you stupid?" I shouted, shoving him hard in the chest. "Why would you come back here?"

Before I could get my answer I was pulled away from him by my hair.  I had never really had a preference for longer hair; so it was really no bother at all to slice through the tangled mess with my talons. After I freed myself I turned to face my attacker and it was no surprise to me when I was met with Aleksandra's sneering face.

The other vampires had fled when Roran arrived; only Aleksandra had stayed.

"You want to fight so badly?" I snarled at her. "Fine!"

Lunging forward, I tackled her to the ground and landed a punch to her jaw before she managed to throw me off. She scrambled to her feet hissing like a cat. I rolled my eyes at her and swiped blood from my forehead.

"Save the theatrics, Alex. There's no one here to show out for."

I swayed on my feet, feeling drained and dizzy. Apparently I had used up or lost all the blood I had taken from Darren. I would have to end this fight quickly. Seeing the knife Roran had thrown sticking out of the back of the vampire near my foot, I snatched it up and waited for an opportunity.  She eyed the weapon for several seconds, obviously weighing her options.

Just as I was about to make a move, she bolted from the room. Part of me wanted to go after her, but I knew I didn't really have the energy for a chase. I sank to the floor, exhausted and hurt.

A shadow passed over my face and I cracked one eye open. Mara stood standing over me examining the cut on my scalp.

"Well at least your skull isn't split open this time," she muttered.

I managed a breathy laugh and sat up. "So what's my damage, nurse? Will I have another scar to go with my collection?"

"Probably not," she replied, moving my hair away from the cut. "It's already healing. Where did you get all these scars anyway? You didn't have them the last time I saw you."

"Long story," I replied.

Mara gave me a suspicious look. "Is David a part of that story?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Then I don't care how long it is," she snapped. "I want to hear it. All of it."

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "No. You don't. But I guess you deserve to know. Is it okay if we walk and talk? There are things I need to do."

She shrugged. "Okay? What about Darren?"

"We'll have to carry him. Can't leave him here defenseless."

Roran had been listening to our conversation apparently, because as I spoke the words he walked over to Darren and lifted the shape-shifter over his shoulders. I glared at him, but said nothing. I was so angry with him I could barely restrain myself from hitting him again, much less hold a civil conversation with the phoenix.

After thinking for several moments, I turned to Mara and began, "I will have to begin the story with the last time you saw me here or it won't make sense."

 "When you locked me in that cage you mean?"

I winced. "Yeah, sorry about that."

She gave me a weak smile. "It's okay. David unlocked it for me."