Chapter 1 - Feyre

I glance next to me, to meet those violet eyes. My mate's My mate, who saved me from Tamlin when my love for him destroyed me.

And though I still have many things left to settle with Tamlin, and this war with Hybern, Velaris truly feels like my home.

The upcoming war with Hybern, right. All thoughts of my mate drain out of my head. Hybern, with the cauldron, who plans to take over Prythian and destroy the wall.

We had both halves of the Book of Breathings, but Amren was close. So close she had protested at attending this meeting because she wanted to continue working on the Book.

I glance to my right again, to see my beautiful, wondrous mate smiling at me. Everyone else at the table immediately looks away.

Did someone just call me beautiful? Rhys teases.

I scowl, and snap my shields up hastily. I swear, they always seem to be down just when I think something medicorily decent about him.

Rhys gives me a little smile, that one that used to make me see red but now makes me think of... other things.

I blush furiously and return to glaring at the table.

Amren says, as bluntly as ever, "Please stop. Save it for tonight. Really," xhe adds, giving us a glare, "Anytime we're not around." She gestures to Mor, Cassian, and Azriel, the latter two of whom giving us looks.

I muster my wits and give Amren a haughty look. "I think Rhys and I could say the same about you and Varian."

Mor chokes on her wine, but before Amren can destroy the townhouse, a deafening boom clatters through the room, along with a light that blinds me for a couple seconds.

I immediately draw the dagger at my side, and from the scraping sounds coming from where Cassian, Mor, Azriel, and Rhys should be, they do the same.

When the light clears, a strange iron box sits on the dining table.