Prologue - Aelin

Aelin blinked, and her vision fractured before condensing into darkness. That's all there ever was. Darkness or the throne room where... needless to say, Aelin was no stranger to the dark.

But this dark, this darkness from iron, from that dreadful box Maeve had entombed her in. This darkness broke her. The time she spent here was as much of a blessing as a curse.

A blessing, for the time not in Maeve's throne room being tortured by Cairn. Torture, for the time it gave her to break. To shatter from her memories. Her failures. And her fate.

Her fate, to die to seal the Lock. To die to fulfill that miserable fate laid out for her centuries before her birth. That Mala's heir, the Firebringer, would give her life to seal the three Wyrdkeys away.

This same bloodline had led her to being held here, under her aunt's care. Her aunt, the Fae Queen Maeve, who had torn her from her mate, her family and her court.

Who had entombed her in this iron, that blocked her powers and slowly stole her lifeblood.

My name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I will not be afraid.

She recited the mantra to herself, the mantra that had kept her from breaking in Endovier, and in the two years since she had gotten out.

But she would not break, and now she had a plan, one that would get her out of Maeve's stronghold. But the only question was where the Wyrdmark portal would leave her.

My name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I will not be afraid.