Four

Theo's pov-

Everyone seemed to be asking for whiskey tonight. Everyone.

They say whiskey speaks to the broken hearted. I poured a round of shots and put them on the tray and slammed my hand down.

"Here you go," I said, handing them to a girl with brown hair and winged eyeliner.

"Thank ya hun," she said, returning to her friends, leaving me utterly alone once again.

The music was playing and I couldn't help but let it sting a little.

Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry

I began to sing along, swaying my hips a little.

And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye

I took a shot of my own, downing it.

Singing this will be the day that I die.

The bell rang, a costumer sat down in front of me.
"Hey," the familiar voice said.

"Hey max," I said, not meeting his eyes, after the awful punishment he put me through.

Attempting to counsel him and his wife.

"I'm sorry. For everything. I shouldn't have got you into this and now I don't want to stop. So I'm letting you walk away if you want to," he said. My heart dropped and shattered on the ground.

Got me into this?

Letting me walk away?

No. Fuck it.

"You're telling me you're too much of a fucking pussy to tell your wife you're fucking gay," I whispered the last part. Maybe I'm fed up but that doesn't mean we need to let the whole world know.

"I think it says something when you fuck a guy you barely know and it changes your whole life. Even if you do let me walk away you're just going to continue to fight with her. She's too lovely to have her heart broken over and over by something that can't be changed. You need to tell her. You have to," I said. He looked up at me through his eyelashes.

"I love her. I do . I really do. But just not the way she needs me to. I've loved her since the ninth grade and I just can't believe this is happening. But I can't be with her anymore. I can't pretend. It's hurting my heart. It's hurting my soul." He said, a single tear tracked down his face.

"Then tell her, I have a strong feeling she'll understand," I said.

And maybe I was taking too confidently, and maybe she wouldn't understand

But there was a glimmer of hope, hope so shiny, hope that sparkled like a broken piece of glass from a bottle of whiskey and unfulfilled promises

So I picked up the hope and held it deep within my pocket, clinging onto it instead.

We both gave each other a look. A look that said more than I could ever explain but for some reason I understood all of it.

I knew I'd do anything for him at this moment. Anything. No matter what it took. I'd be his and he'd be mine.

He drew into the dust on the table, looked at me, then left, his footsteps trailed through the strangers in the bar.

I looked down at the table .

A heart. A heart with a m and a t in it . I smiled, then looked towards the door, catching him as he slipped out through it.