Monalise and Rafael

Start from the beginning

"How did you know where I was?"

He sighed, "I tracked you."

I honestly wasn't surprised.

I rolled my eyes, "Thank you for trusting me." I said, sarcastically.

"I don't check it every second, I track it when your mom and I can't get a hold of you," Contrary to the situation, his voice was calm. "I'm not exactly New York's favorite person, Mona. What I do is dangerous, and I need to be able to access you at all times."

As much as I wanted to argue, he was right. When he first revealed to me what he did for a living, I was concerned for my safety and his. He explained to me that he would do his best to keep me safe, but there was still a risk that I could be taken at any time.

"I'm not upset with you for being there, I'm upset that you didn't tell me you were going to be there. I knew you were mad at me, so I thought you weren't picking up my phone calls, but you weren't picking up your mom's calls either and shit Mona, you have no idea what was going through my head."

The guilt sat in my throat like bricks. He made me feel selfish for making decisions that made me feel good.

"What were you doing there anyway?"

"I didn't want to be home alone, Rafael. You're never there anymore, and when you are there, you're doing something for work, or you need to go to the warehouse. Sometimes, I need to be around other people. I need my own life." I evaded telling him that I was really there to volunteer. I didn't want that to be taken away from me.

We pulled into the garage before he could answer. He got out first and came to open my door. I didn't wait for him. I walked towards the house and unlocked the door. What surprised me was that there were people in our house. They were dressed casually and most of them were fit. The smell of chicken and spices was heavy in the house.

I felt Rafael behind me before I smelled him. He put his arm around my waist and walked me into the living room where we became the center of attention.

"Signori, questa e mia moglie, Monalise."

I smiled and waved, "Ciao!"

I should have known that wouldn't have been enough because they all got up to greet me, one-by-one. I was feeling a little overwhelmed, so I subtly made my way upstairs when they all resumed eating and talking. I heard Rafael's footsteps behind mine.

"They're colleagues. I'm hoping to collaborate with them on a project."

I nodded my head and entered our room. I threw my purse on the bed and bee lined to the bathroom. He was right behind me in there too.

"I haven't forgotten what you said in the car," he cupped my face and pulled it up, so I was looking at him. He gave me a light peck, "I have a lot going on right now, Mona. I'm trying to keep this business floating to support our lifestyle."

I breathed out a sigh through my nose, "I get it, babe," I put my hands over his on my face, "This marriage will continue to come second in your life so that I can have anything I want, right?"

He put his hands down slowly, "That's not what I meant.."

"Let me be very clear, I don't want this shit! I don't need it!" I threw an expensive vase to the ground to prove my point. When that didn't feel like enough, I took my wedding ring off and threw it at him, "I didn't marry you because I wanted this life. I married you because I love you. But you make it so hard to keep being in love with you when you're never here!"

I felt the tears welling up and the sob ready to escape in my throat.

"What have I ever asked for that was beyond our means? I'm not my mom. I'm not some Italian girl who expects you to provide for her while she stays home and spends your money." My voice cracked at the last sentence.