Part 1

Today was the day. I didn't want to open my eyes but I knew I had to. A hundred years old already... it felt unreal. Grudgingly I slowly lifted my eyelids. What I saw was no different than what I saw every morning: a high ceiling with a golden, candle lit chandelier. With a heavy sigh, I sat up in my bed. The soft, fur comforter fell into my lap, and I looked around, taking in the view of my room. It was the same gold and ruby red decorations I had seen before, yet all of it looked different today. Today everything felt cold and unwelcoming. Today, the day of my one hundredth birthday.... The day of my rebirth.
All phoenix's had to go through it. If we didn't, after we turned one hundred, our bodies would wither away into empty shells, frail and useless. Our spirits might be immortal, but our bodies were not. Plus, "It's tradition!" as my mother would so enthusiastically put it. Since I was just a hundred, this was my first time needing to be reborn, and I would have to do it again every hundred years following today. Something about it all made my stomach sink.
A knock followed by a feeble voice came from the door across the room. "Princess?"
"Enter." The command felt bitter on my tongue. A small woman clothed in red drapings walked in with her head bowed.
"The Queen sent me to collect you." Her voice was barely a whisper. "She said they are ready to begin the celebration."
"I'll be there in a moment."
She bowed even lower, then quietly exited the room.
Celebration, what a way to put it. First I would be paraded through the city where the people would throw roses at my feet wishing me a "fortunate" rebirth, next I would be purified, a necessary yet boring process that had to be endured, and then I would be left alone in the dark to die while the rest of the world celebrated my birthday without me. If all went well, the people would gather around the palace just before dawn and I would rise again with the sun, reborn. Still, for some reason, the prospect of it made me shiver.
    To distract myself, I began to dress in the ceremonial gown: a simple black, silk dress that fell to my feet. I pulled my fiery red curls tight into a bun on my head. Usually, Ashna and Selnie would help me get ready for each day, but mother made it clear that no one, except the few chosen priests, were to interact closely with me today: before, during, or after the purification. "Better safe than sorry," she repeated over and over. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when thinking about it. Thankfully, there wasn't much I had to do in the sense of preparing for the day.
    Just as I was, I made my way down the halls of the palace. Everywhere I looked, flames flickered off the golden walls and pillars. The movement seemed to bring the walls to life, creating dancing shadows, as if to celebrate today with everyone else. I pulled open the great red double doors engraved with elegant swirls and other patterns that led to the throne room, where my mother and a few others were waiting for me. As I approached, she held out her hand commanding me to stop. Two servants, whom I did not recognize, came forward and placed a heavy black veil in front of me.
"For your protection as we present you to our people." I looked up at my mother as she spoke. She had a smile on her face. I wanted to snap back at her and tell her that this was ridiculous, what could I possibly need protection from? I had barely been allowed outside the palace walls my whole life, and now that I was, I had to be blocked off from the world still. But instead I nodded and proceeded with draping the veil over my head.
The thing was so thick I could barely see through it, and it felt heavier than any crown I had worn before. I did my best not to trip as we were led out to the courtyard. Though I could barely see it, there was a large golden carriage decorated with flames along the sides waiting for us. I sat at the back, and my mother sat across from me. No one else dared come close to where we waited. And then we were off.
The rest of that day felt like a blur. We rode through each street, thousands of people shouting out to us or singing praises to the gods, and throwing roses as expected. However, it was all dark and muffled to me thanks to the veil. I hadn't even realized the sun was beginning to set by the time we made it back to the palace. It was easy to tell they were setting up for the following morning by the almost sickening scent of roses that flooded into my nostrils. It made it hard for me not to gag under the veil. I could hear the two giant ceremonial torches that sat at the top of the steps of the palace being prepared as well. Their preparations were almost as important and delicate as the ones for myself due to the fact that they were meant to be my guide through my rebirth; a light to follow in the dark, or so I was told.
My heart began to race as we made our way back into the throne room. For a moment I thought my emotions would overtake me and that I might just run away from all of it. But, then a gentle voice asked me to remove the thick black veil that had been weighing me down, and as I did the thought of escape seemed to disappear. With the veil no longer blocking my vision, I could see that a small group of priests, respected elders, and other important figures within our realm had gathered to help with and be witness to my purification. In the center of the gathering sat a solid black altar, which shape made me think of a giant anvil. It was decorated only by a white sheet thrown over it.
It felt like everyone was staring at me, and once again, the thought of fleeing crossed my mind.
"Approach," my mother said softly.
With shaking hands, I slowly stepped forward. My chest felt as though it was being crushed, and fear overcame me. Even with the kind faces of those who had gathered around watching me, and their encouraging words echoing in my ears, all I could think was... I was walking to my death. Yet still I walked forward, until I finally stopped just in front of the altar. On the opposite side of it stood The High Priest. He held his hands out, signaling a servant to approach with a steaming wash pan. He then proceeded to wash his hands in the bowl, whispering a prayer as he did. Finally, he took both my hands in his own and said, "Princess Fyria, daughter of Queen Aldea, and descendant of fire and ash: today marks your one hundredth year in this world. As a phoenix, you were born to lead an eternal life, but life does not come without a price. We have gathered here on your behalf, that you may be reborn once again, giving up this body to become new, thus paying the price of immortality. However, to offer this sacrifice one must be purified in the body and soul. Do you willingly offer yourself to do so?"
"I do." The words slipped out of my mouth before I could even think to stop them.
"So be it."
Next thing I knew, two of the other priests took hold of my arms and forced my head down onto the altar, undoing my hair and ripping the ceremonial gown off my back. This was wrong. I tried to tell them to stop, but they gagged my mouth, making it impossible for more than a quiet moan to escape. The High Priest was now praying in a language I couldn't understand, his voice slowly getting louder until it was ringing in my ears. The room around me suddenly changed. Everyone seemed to be running and shouting, and their faces turned from kindness to malice. It felt like chaos... And at the center of it, I could see my mother sitting quietly at her throne. I tried to scream out for her, but my voice escaped me. She sat there, smiling at me. I had never seen that look in her eyes before: a hunger, like a sphinx that had successfully caught its prey.
I tried to fight as the priests lifted me onto the altar. They took each of my limbs and tied them down. I stared in horror as someone approached with a red hot branding rod, and then proceeded to press it to my skin. The pain was like none I had felt before, and again I tried to scream. Still shouting his twisted prayer, The High Priest stood over me, a small blade in his hands. Suddenly the chaos stopped, and the room fell silent. He peered down at me and said with an icy dark voice, "May the gods be pleased with this offering."
    I tried to let out one final scream as he plunged the blade into my chest. And then... darkness.