Leothan could only stare at him. “I had no idea they'd get through so fast,” he said.

     “None of us did. It never occurred to anyone. At least there’s only one Greene Cannon. They'll be using lesser means to get through the other doors, which means this is where they’ll get in first. Majesty, I must now insist that you retreat further into the Tower.”

     “Why? Once they're in, they’ll sweep through every level of the tower, root us out wherever we hide. I'm staying right here. I'm going to face them when they break through, and I'm going to get Radiant blood on my blade before I go down.”

     His inspiration gave heart to the others. Men whose courage had been wavering found the strength to stand firm, and hands clutched weapons with new determination.

     “It's been a great privilege to have ruled over such fine people,” said Leothan, fighting to keep his voice from breaking with emotion. “Helberion is the greatest country in the world. What we’ve achieved will awe and astonish the rest of the human world when they hear of it, and our final end will not detract from that. This is our end, that is certain now, but it will be such an end that, no matter what happens after, this moment will live on in history for as long as mankind survives. And when history fades, we will live on in legend and folklore. Today, we become immortal.”

     To his surprise, a cheer rose from the other people on the hall. “Three cheers for King Leothan!” cried Amberley, brandishing his sword above his head. “The greatest King ever to have worn a crown!”

     The hall shook with the cheers that rose in reply, and to their astonishment there was a pause in the blows shaking the doors. They all fell silent as the assault faltered and Machett took a chance, running back to the peephole to take a quick glance outside. “They're just hanging there!” he said, laughing as he ran back to safety. “I think the cheering surprised them. They don't know what to make of it.”

     A moment later, though, the door shook to another blow as the assault resumed. “Looks like they’re over it,” said Amberley. “Ballista crews, the moment you get a clear shot at a Radiant, take it. Don’t wait for the order. Then reload as quick as you can. The record is forty three seconds. I expect you to beat it.”

     The crewmen nodded back, and the men holding the smouldering tapers edged closer, ready to light the bolts.

     The right hand door was holding firm, but both the top and bottom bolts of the left hand door had failed and it was now being held closed only by the bar, which now had a noticeable bend to it. Splinters were breaking out in the middle, looking like the fangs of some wild monster that gaped wider with each new blow. The sound of piping could also be heard as one of the Radiants came closer to the doors. The sound rose in pitch, and then momentarily stopped before resuming at its customary low tone. It had just cast a curse, they knew, on the off chance that there was someone within range on the inside.

     The next blow momentarily pushed the door far enough inwards that the creature was able to push the tip of a tentacle through in an attempt to lift the bar. Someone shot an arrow at it. The tentacle tried to pull back but it was held fast by the door closing on it. It had to wait until the next blow from the Greene Cannon before it could free itself. Several of the defenders chuckled at the faintly ridiculous sight, and Leothan hoped it had hurt the creature, even if only trivially.

     The light hearted moment was soon forgotten, though, as the next blow caused the loudest crack from the bar so far. A crack that allowed it to bend considerably. This is it, thought Leothan. The next blow, or the one after that, and they’ll be through. He glanced at the ballista crews, standing tense and alert. “You, the crew on the left,” he said. They looked across at him. “You hold fire. Let the other crew fire first. There's no point in you both hitting the same creature. Crew on the right, you hit the first Radiant to come through. Crew on the left, take the second one. Also, wait until they’re actually in the tunnel. Maybe we can block it with their corpses.”