Chapter 8a

“Gone?” said Malone in dismay.

     Ambassador Mornwell nodded and beckoned the former batman to follow him into a conference room, where they could talk away from all the Helberion citizens currently crowding the embassy, all seeking reassurance concerning the current state of the war with Carrow. Most of them were directed towards a noticeboard the embassy staff had set up in the reception room on which the latest news was being posted. Malone had glanced at it himself on the way in, and was alarmed to see that Carrow troops were now within fifty miles of Marboll. The enemy had apparently made fast progress across the Tweenlands, but another notice pinned just below it stated that Helberion’s gallant defenders had stalled their advance, and that they soon expected to be able to push the enemy back. Malone had wondered whether that was the truth or just propaganda.

     Mornwell closed the door behind them and hurriedly gathered up some books and papers that had been left on the table after a previous meeting. Then he gestured for Malone to take a chair. “He was summoned away by the King, for an urgent mission,” he said, taking another chair beside him. “He didn't just abandon you, though. He asked that a member of the embassy staff go to the King's Shilling every week, in case you were able to make contact. He wanted you told to end your mission and return to Helberion. He was concerned that you were in too much danger.”

     “I can take care of myself,” protested Malone indignantly. “I found out who’s in control of the popular uprising. It's an aristocrat, a Lord. Lord Benjamin Hedley. He's using his money to buy guns for the rebels.”

     “Is he now. I know him, I met him once, at an Imperial reception. The Emperor will be shocked. I understand that Lord Benjamin is a personal friend of his.”

     “It's the truth. I saw him speaking to a Radiant, I saw him interrogating a couple of Imperial agents he'd captured. I... I was there when one of them died...”

     “Easy, Lad. I wasn't doubting you. The Brigadier trusted you, and so I do. If you say he’s involved, then I believe you. The Kelvon authorities may need convincing, though.”

     “Well, all we can do is pass on what we know and leave it in their hands. Where did the Brigadier go? I have to join up with him. He’ll need me.”

     “You can't leave just yet, I'm afraid. The Kelvon authorities will want to interview you, so you can tell them everything you learned while undercover...”

     “I've just told you. Lord Benjamin Hedley...”

     “Yes, yes, but they can't arrest him just on your word, especially if you've gone swanning off on another adventure. If you can stand up in a Kelvon court of law and give proper testimony, under oath and with cross examination from a defence attorney, then your word will have weight. They'll be able to bring him in, interview him under caution. If it’s just me telling them that I heard it from someone, though, well. Hearsay evidence carries no weight at all, I'm afraid. They need you here for a few days longer.”

     “No! I have to go after the Brigadier!”

     “He's gone, Lad. Took a train east. There's no way you can catch him, even if you left now. You've done great work, but it'll all be for nothing unless you can present it to a Kelvon court in person.”

      Malone didn't like the sound of that at all, though. Once they started questioning him, it was sure to come out that he'd been the one who’d killed the Imperial agent. Two Imperial agents, counting the one in the Bramble Road warehouse, and the fact that there’d been no way he could have saved them probably wouldn’t cut much ice. All they would care about, probably, was that he’d been the one who'd done the deed. The circumstances might be an extenuating circumstance, but once he was in the hands of the Kelvon authorities it was likely that he'd never see freedom again, and the Brigadier's warning about their fondness for the death penalty came back to him, making him shudder.