Chapter 19b

“I regret we have little time to spend on conversation,” said the Brigadier, though. “Time is short and we have to be on our way. If you want to help us, we need fresh horses and food for the road. Any grievances you have with your King and his guards you will have to settle by yourselves.”

     “But you don’t understand!” said the man with the scarred nose. “We want to help you!”

     “Perhaps if the Brigadier and I were to speak privately...” said the old woman.

      “As I said, we have to be on our way. Time is of the essence.”

     “It's gone midday,” she said, though. “You'll be wanting to stop for a meal before long. Why not stop here where you're assured of safety and friendly company and you may hear something to your advantage?” She pointed a gnarled finger towards a nearby tavern. “There are no out of towners currently staying at the Motley Plough. Nobody but loyal Gendoll folk and good food, and it won't cost you a penny! Your money’s no good here, Brigadier. And while you're eating Brian can be sorting you out a pair of good horses to carry you on your way.” A thin man wearing a wide brimmed hat stepped forward and nodded enthusiastically at them.

     The Brigadier saw that there would be no getting away from this town without hearing what she had to say, and besides she was right. They did have to eat somewhere. “Very well,” he said therefore, and grins of pleasure broke out in the crowd. “Lead on, good woman.”

     Brian took their horses towards the town stables and the two Helberians followed the old woman towards the tavern. “The name's Megan by the way,” she said as they went. “Rendall's the head of the town council, but people in this town generally do what I tell ‘em to do.”

     “I can believe that,” said Grey in what he thought was a voice too low for her to hear, but she turned and gave him a sharp look. Grey looked abashed, and the feeling was doubled when the Brigadier gave him the same look. The Private said nothing more until they reached their table, in the corner of the tavern’s dining room.

     “Not much on the menu except bloodcake and potato,” said the serving maid who came over to take their order. “And I don’t know how much longer the bloodcake will hold out. We can't keep bleeding the cattle forever.”

     “Anything you can spare will be welcome,” said the Brigadier. The young lady nodded happily and trotted away.

     Once they were alone, Grey leaned towards the Brigadier and spoke in a low voice. “Perhaps helping organising an uprising would be a good idea,” he said. “Any kind of civil disorder in Carrow would help us in the war. They’d have to bring troops back home to put it down. Perhaps abandon the whole invasion if it was bad enough.”

     “There'll be no uprising unless we win the war,” said the Brigadier, though. “People like to give voice to their grievances, but that's a long way from actually risking their lives in revolution. So long as they're scared of the army, they won't rise up.”

     “They might if we promised them help. Weapons, information...”

     “We have no way of delivering that promise. All of Helberion cannot keep it.”

     “Doesn’t matter. If we can convince them that we can help them...”

     “No! King Leothan is highly regarded by other world leaders, and by most of the world’s common people, because he has a reputation for speaking the truth and keeping his promises. It is that reputation that is our greatest asset. We dare not damage it. Besides, we already have a mission. To meet up with the Princess and protect her. We cannot allow ourselves to be distracted from that mission.”