Chapter 1: Run and Never Look Back

Start from the beginning

Miss Thomas whipped her head towards me and hissed, "Is this true?!"

"No! Of course not! I would never do that to your daughter. I swear." I shook my head quickly and backed up against the wall.

"She did it, Mama. She put the gum into my hair because she hates me! She's jealous that I have you and Papa!" Sarah narrowed her eyes at me and smiled evilly.

"Jealous? How dare you put your filthy hands on my child. I have her come visit me for a day and you decide to treat her like this? No wonder no one wants to adopt you!" Miss Thomas raced forward and grabbed my hair.

I felt myself begin to cry and clutched my arms around my body.

"I didn't do it, Miss Thomas. I really didn't." I cried out in pain as she pulled my hair.

"Who do you think I'm going to believe? My daughter or you? That's it. Come here." Miss Thomas released her grip on my hair, but grabbed my arm and yanked me towards the war room.

I bet you're probably wondering what a "war room" was. It was this room in the orphanage that held all the punishment tools used on us when we did something bad. Yes, I said orphanage. I have no mom or dad. But I was here... in this hell hole.

"Please. I really didn't do it!" I cried and tried my best to pull away.

"Oh? Then tell me. Who did it?" Miss Thomas released her grip on my wrist and put her hands on her hip.

"I don't know. I was walking down the corridor to do my chores and I saw Sarah on the floor, crying." I replied.

"Did this really happen, darling?" Miss Flack turned to Sarah.

"She's a liar, Mama! Now I'll have to cut my hair! I've been trying to grow it out for so long!" Sarah threw her arms in the air and began to cry once more.

"You know what? I am done with you. I've had enough with your lies." Miss Flack grabbed me and led me to her office.

When we reached her office, Miss Thomas rummaged through her drawer and came up with scissors.

"Oh no, Mama! Please don't cut my hair! Let me go to the salon!" Sarah pleaded.

"Oh my darling, have no worries! This is for her!" Miss Thomas pointed the scissors at me and smiled.

"NO!" I put my hands on my head and backed away.

My hair was the world to me. It was the only thing I had to myself. I could braid it. Take good care of it. It was my best feature. It was my blanket from all the horrible things.

"Come here." Miss Thomas made her way towards me.

"Please, Ms. Thomas. I'll clean the floor and do chores everyday! You can double my chores, but please don't cut my hair!" I begged her and backed away until I felt my back hit the wall.

"Oh you'll have those punishments as well, but those won't be enough." She grabbed my arms, but I pushed her away.

When I pushed her away, i could see Miss Thomas' eyes brighten with anger.

"COME. HERE." She slapped me and yanked me towards her.

I could only whimpered and cried softly as she snipped away at my hair.

After ten minutes, she backed away and I looked down at the floor to see my hair in a heap. I now had a soldier boy haircut.

As I stared at what used to be my hair, I hear Sarah giggling and looked up to see Miss Thomas smiling smugly.

"Go to your room. You're chores will be tripled. You won't be eating dinner for three days. GO." Miss Thomas pointed towards the door and nodded at me to leave.

I quietly walked out and as she slammed the door behind me, I thought about my life. It was a routine. Clean. Work. Make mistake. Be punished. Clean. And so on.

This was all my life was. Didn't it mean something much more than this? And this is why I chose to run away.

- Present Time -

As I walked out into the cold air, I looked back at the stone building. I had never been outside before and if I had been, I didn't remember. As I continued to stare at the place I lived in for the past 16 years, I realized how much it looked like a prison with bars over every window.

After 5 minutes looking at my past, I turned away and began down the empty road to a new life.

As I walked down the road, I wondered what I'd discover and began to hum quietly to myself. It was dark besides the little light provided by the lamp posts.

As I countinued to hum my silent lullaby, I did not notice the bright headlights heading my way. And before I knew it, everything went black.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys! thanks for taking the time to read the first chapter of this story! It was much appreciated! Please continue to share and what not! Love you all xx