Chapter 1: Run and Never Look Back

Kalien's POV

"What are you doing?"

I felt my back stiffen and turned around at the sound of the voice. When I saw who it was, I gave out a sigh of relief and continued packing.

"Kalien, are you even listening to me? What are you doing?" Hannah whispered rashly, moving towards me.

"I'm leaving." I said softly, setting my folded clothes neatly into my backpack.

"WHAT?" She exclaimed. She grabbed my arm and turned me towards her.

"I said, I'm leaving." I pulled my arm away and turned back to my backpack.

"Why?" Hannah took a small step back and tears filled her eyes.

I closed my eyes and paused. I could hear the hurt in her voice. Why wouldn't she be hurt? We were best friends. We only had each other. We survived BECAUSE we had each other. And now, I'm leaving her. I sighed and continued packing.

"Because I can't handle this anymore." I shook my head and felt tears sting my eyes.

"So you're just going to leave me? What about our promise? What if someone comes and they want to adopt us?" Hannah said, desperately. She came closer to me and I could tell that she was crying.

"Those are 'What ifs', Hannah. But do you ever see them happening? No one's ever going to adopt us. Face it. We're older now. No one wants us. No one. So give it up. " I yelled, exasperated. I threw my arms out and felt tears flowing down my face.

"You're breaking the promise. You said that we'll be together forever. You said that we were sisters." She shoved my shoulder and looked at me with hatred in her eyes. She slumped onto her bed and continued to cry.

"Hannah... please. Don't do this. You are my sister! Just come with me! Run away with me! We can start over. We wouldn't have to deal with all this anymore." I sat next to her and nodded towards the closed door.

"No." Hannah sat up and wiped her tears away.

"What?" I said, quietly.

"I won't. You don't know what's out there. I don't either. I'm staying." She crossed her arms and turned away from me.

I got silent for a moment and knew that whatever I did would not change her mind.

"Fine." I got up, abruptly and swung my backpack over my shoulder.

"That's it? You're really just going to leave?"

I turned to Hannah and saw her glaring at me.

"Yeah. You make it out to sound like the outside is scary and dangerous, but you don't even know what it's really like and neither do I which is why I'm going to find out for myself. If you were trying to change my mind then I'm sorry because it's not working. I'm done with this place. I can't do this anymore. Goodbye." I nodded at her and quietly slipped past the door.

As I hurried down the steps to the basement where I knew I left the back door open, ready for me to leave at anytime, I thought back to last week. Back to the incident that had led me to decide to do what I was doing today.

- One Week Earlier -

"KALIEN. WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

I flinched at the sound and quickly backed away from Sarah.

"N-n-nothing, Miss Thomas."

Miss Thomas glared at me and turned to look at Sarah who was crying.

"Sarah, darling. What happened?" Miss Thomas hurried to Sarah and tried to comfort the crying brat.

"Mama, she put gum into my hair and now I can't get it out." Sarah cried even louder and pointed at me.