CHAPTER THREE

AMELIA

"So, you think the Sussex girl knows more?" Charles asked me as we got into the car. The mansion was three stories high and I kept seeing Mrs. Sussex looking through the blinds at us. She sure was worried about something. I reversed in their big driveaway that was surrounded by one of San Fallon's most beautiful gardens.

"I don't know. The way her mother is still staring out the window at us might implied it."

Charles look out his window and huffed.

"The best thing to do is to wait for Cheng and go through the list Mrs. Fairchild gave us. But yes, it was a bit suspicious that she told us about Wadelyn's extra activities."

"She is going to break her mother's heart with whatever Cheng is going to find."

"That is the problem with today's parents. They give their kids everything they want and not what they need. Something tells me we are going to deal with a few more spoiled brats. We need to be careful with Helena Sussex. Her father is Dan Sussex."

"The Dan Sussex, that is working for Jameson's and Frederick firm?"

"That's the one."

Charles hmphed as we went to the next cheerleader's house. Tracy Montgomery.

Cyber bullying became one of the biggest crimes lately and it was one of the reasons I hated the internet. It just made crime so much easier. Never in a million years did I think it would reach our peaceful town.

This century was all fucked up and killing yourself...I could just imagine what this poor girl had to endure. There was going to be a long investigation and our job now was trying to build a strong case for Brenda, Wadelyn's mother, to take things further.

Cyber bullying was an offence, someone is going to be guilty. The question was, who.

We parked in front of the Montgomery's residency and climbed out.

Each of the houses wanted to be more beautiful than the next. But the Montgomery's residence was a one story, big open house, with beautiful trees and the greenest grass I'd ever seen.

I knocked on the door with Charles on my heels. Mrs. Montgomery opened.

She was short, with red auburn hair and full luscious lips. Her eyes were big and brown. She had the friendliest face I've seen in a long time. 

"Officer Conway and Liamson. Could we have a word with you and your daughter," I said and peek down at Brenda's list for her daughter's name. "Tracy."

"Of course, please come in." She had an inviting warmth about her as we entered the house.  It was a beautiful residency and the houses on Midland and Auckland was part of the rich area in San Fallon.

She took us to the living room after she yelled for her daughter to come down. "What can I help you with?"

We sat down on her couches.

"Sorry," she smiled. "Where are my manners? May I offer you something to drink?"

We both declined and thanked her for the hospitality.

She sat down too.

"It's about Wadelyn Fairchilds."

She closed her eyes and turned her head to the window, opened them and stared for a few seconds, dead silent. I followed her gaze and found nothing in particular. Just a huge tree with a treehouse and a backyard. I looked back at her.

"That poor girl's mother. For someone so young to take her own life like that. What is going through their heads? What could be so bad at seventeen that it felt that death was the only answer? Did you know she was one of the best cheerleaders on that squad? She had everything going for her, was beautiful." She sighed.