20. pizza

August, 2017

"Where did you get the number?"

"You know where I got the number."

It had taken some persuading, but Teddy had eventually given up the number along with the one word that had got the full attention of Michelle Evans. Ingrid had texted the word to the number just before she'd turned in for the night, hoping for the best. Now she sat in Michelle's spacious office at the headquarters of the Evans family business.

Patrick's older sister, although unable to inherit any aristocratic titles, stood on a higher step of the corporate ladder and thus wielded more power than her reckless sibling. Ingrid hoped Michelle would see how good the Brennan deal really was and overturn Patrick's decision.

It was a make-it or break-it move. Ingrid had gone all in with this meeting and if Michelle chose to uphold her brother's verdict, Ingrid would most likely have to kiss her job goodbye. Possibly any corporate job, she realised, as she sat across Michelle at the visitor end of her desk. Behind her, large windows offered a spectacular vista of sunny lunchtime London.

"Obviously," Ingrid added, "that's all I know. Took a while to even get that much."

Michelle narrowed her eyes at her. "How can I trust you?"

"You don't have to. Trust Teddy. You know he wouldn't do anything that would compromise you."

"The simple fact that you know about us is compromising enough."

"Then I'm as compromised as you are."

Michelle pondered on that for a second. "How did you meet?"

"A friend introduced us after I... Let's just say I... Well." Ingrid licked her lips and shifted in her seat. "I suffered a very unpleasant experience. Teddy helped me through it. Or rather, get over it. We met after... it. After the, uh... experience, I mean."

A spark of understanding glinted in Michelle's eyes.

"Look, I only wanted to get your attention," Ingrid said truthfully.

"There are other ways."

"I didn't have time for other ways. Your little brother fucked me over and I'm on a clock with my neck on the line."

Ingrid momentarily regretted the desperation. Then she flitted the regret away. Everything was fair in love and war, after all, and she was at war. She'd do anything to get Michelle on her side.

"Patrick? What has he done this time?"

Ingrid stifled a smirk at how the question had been phrased. It showed this wouldn't be the first time Michelle had been approached to clean up her brother's mess.

"Glad you asked. On behalf of The Brennan Company, I want to renegotiate the terms of our deal with you. Our personal paths, mine and Patrick's, crossed at a very sensitive point and he reacted impulsively."

"Let me guess... you're the 'little bitch'," air quotations, "responsible for the whole Sienna affair?"

Ingrid's eyebrows jumped.

"His words, not mine," Michelle pointed out. "So you were saying Patrick ruined your deal?"

Ingrid nodded. "As far as I understood, he ended it without any form of warning or chance at renegotiation."

"He does tend to be a bit rash, but then again... Having his wife run away did get him all shaken up."

Ingrid rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. You'd have to be blind not to see the state she was in. Sienna's my friend. I wasn't going to – " A sharp breath. "Anyway, he can have it out with me if he wants. Privately. Leave the business alone."