2-13: Invitation

The weather had cleared up some since they had left the cafe, but it was still cold and windy. A strong breeze tossed their hair every which way, and pushed water-heavy, dark grey clouds along the sky. From time to time the sunlight flared up, causing the wet streets and windows to sparkle, only for it to be blinked out again by the next cloud a mere moment later.

The weather didn't seem to bother Hibiki that much, darting ahead on the narrow pavements and back alleys to take in whatever sight he could, occasionally taking a sip from a take-out hot chocolate. Meanwhile Tristan wandered behind him, but not so far away that he would have to face the bodyguards that trailed along. Occasionally he pointed Hibiki in the right direction, so they would eventually arrive at the bookstore – albeit with a slight detour.

It was a rather narrow but deep building, with the store taking up two whole floors. A few of the newest works had been stalled out in the window; most of it was popular science, some self help books and a few thrillers that appeared to be geared to middle aged women.

Hibiki pointed at the door while taking a sip from his cup, wordlessly asking if he should go in. In response, Tristan smiled and nodded, having grown so accustomed to Hibiki's silence already that it felt strange to break it by speaking – as if somehow his voice was interrupting Hibiki's quiet. With a slight grin and a push against the door, Hibiki went ahead and entered the shop.

A woman with short, grey hair greeted them. Although Tristan was familiar with her, he had never really spoken to her much beyond the usual customer interactions and a few recommendations he had gotten. Today was no different.

"You've brought someone new?" She asked with a brisk smile, and he nodded. "Oh, careful with that cup, I don't want anything spilled on the books." She immediately added seeing Hibiki's hot chocolate, but he gave it a shake it to show that he'd just finished it. "I can throw it away for you dear," the woman held her hand out to take the cup, and so Hibiki gave it to her. "We've had some second hand books come in, they're upstairs." She continued to tell Tristan, who smiled and nodded gratefully.

He gave Hibiki a slight push in his back, pointing at a narrow stair in the very back that led to the upper floor. With a smile, Hibiki walked along with him, while the shopkeeper glanced quite confused and not entirely trusting at the bodyguards that trailed after them – especially since Tristan had only ever come into the store alone.

"Just come down when you've found something, I'll ring you up dear." She said after them, while they were in the middle of ascending the stairs. Hibiki took the lead in answering, even if it wasn't meant for him, giving her a thumbs up while Tristan just smiled politely. At least before Hibiki grabbed his wrist and pulled him up the stairs, too impatient to stand around exchanging smiles.

The upstairs was covered in books as well; mainly older works and more obscure genres. It was a dimly lit room, with the only light coming from two windows in the very front of the store, and two dusty, old light bulbs that gave off a soft, golden glow.

"Come on, I'll show you the second hand ones I told you about." Tristan said rather excited, taking the lead instead once they were upstairs. He took Hibiki with to the very back of the floor, where there were a few bookcases stocked to the brim with books that had their backs crumpled and yellowed pages. They were all marked with a sticker indicating the price – the more recent the book and pristine its condition, the higher the price. At the very bottom of the bookcases however stood a few cardboard boxes that would fit around ten books at most.

"Those are the boxes I told you about." Tristan said with a grin, before he trailed the books on the shelves for something interesting. "I've found some really amazing things in here, you wouldn't believe the books people throw away. First editions, books with world war pamphlets in them, or old tickets for shows and movies. I've even gotten a few books from the nineteenth century, and people just put that with the trash like it's nothing."