Chapter Thirteen- Baby Daddy

Dad. The word had only ever left my mouth when speaking of my own. But now it would be directed to me. I could have sworn that I had misheard what had been said, but being shown the pregnant test and accompanying her to a doctor's appointment to see the child in her stomach upon the ultra sound-it was hard to dispute. I could see that it was a beacon of hope for her heartbreak after losing her father. I but I could also see the rage, disappointment, and sadness on Vannah's face. How could I male both women safe and happy without them incorporating in a dysfunctional family relationship?

This is the thought that kept me up at night as it had led me to take a pack of cigarettes I had hidden away and move outside to light one up. I hadn't smoked since I was sixteen and I kept this pack as a sort of emergency...I could not think of a better time then now. Taking the first drag in so long had allowed me the chance to forget of everything for a moment. That was until I heard a set of feet shuffle behind me.

"Since when do you smoke?" Trina asked, disapporiving of my vice. I wanted more than anything to tell her that it was her fault, but I knew getting pregnant wasn't a solo operation. The thought was enough to make me clench my jaw.

"If you have something to say, just say it." She challenged me. I had so many things I could begin to unload upon her, screaming at her and telling her that she had been the reason for my stress. But what good would that do when she was emotionally fragile.

"You just have to give me a second...I'm processing everything."

"What do you have to process? I am the one going through this pregnancy, mourning...I am doing it all by myself."

"No, your not..." I corrected her.

"Then make it feel like I'm not. I didn't get this way on my own..." she continued as i looked to her following a sigh. I extinguished the cigarette beneath my shoe before looking to her with all the sincerity I could manage. But before I could speak, I saw Vannah emerge from a dark car across the street. I feared what would happen as she began to close into our location. I knew what Vannah would be capable of.

Hell was about to be unleashed by a woman scorned but now I had my child to protect, not just my secrets.