Chapter 13

As she walked to gym, Tabitha continued to ponder the situation with her shins.  Well, there's a hill on the way to school, what if I said I fell and skidded down the sidewalk a few feet, and this happened through my jeans?  It's too late in the year to say I fell at the pool..., and falling down stairs would leave bruises not scrapes.  Saying I slid on the sidewalk Is probably going to be the best answer, most grown-ups don't ask too many questions, because if they knew, they would have to do something about it, and no one likes paperwork.

"Hey, what happened to your legs?"  Rachel asked, after Tabitha came out of the stall where she had changed clothes.

"Oh, I slipped on the sidewalk going up a hill this morning.  It doesn't really hurt, just looks ugly,"  Tabitha answered.

"What were you doing, did you fall off a skateboard going full speed?  If you were just walking, your shins might be red, but unless your jeans shredded, they would have prevented that!"  Rachel said bluntly gesturing toward Tabitha's legs.  "Who is hurting you?  If you don't tell someone, it will never stop!  It will just keep getting worse!!"

"It's over, Rachel.  It's never going to happen again.  Thanks for caring," Tabitha said with a wan smile.

"It's not over if the person is still in your life.  How are you so sure it's not going to happen again, Tabitha?"

Tabitha looked around at the emptied locker room.  "We're late!  We're going to get detention!  Come on!"

"Not until you tell me how you are so sure it is over, Tabitha.  I'm not going to let whoever it is keep hurting you!  It's wrong, and if I let this go, I would be as bad as they are!"

"Because she kicked me out, ok?  Are you satisfied now?  I'm homeless, but I have a job, and a plan.  I promise, I'm going to be ok, Rachel, now can we please get to class?"

"Fine, but don't think we aren't going to talk about this "plan" of yours.  We can talk while I walk you to wherever you work, or on the bus, or however you want to get there.  Please let me help you be safe!"

"Ok, fine," Tabitha said.  I can just wear what I wore to school today to work.  I can't let Rachel see where I sleep.  That's not safe, but maybe I can give her just enough...

The coach was just as dismissive as Tabitha had thought she would be.  She accepted the excuse, but she did make Tabitha stay on the bleachers for the class.  Tabitha got lots of wondering looks throughout the class, but no one went out of their way to make her miserable, and when she went to change back out of her uniform, her clothes hadn't been messed with.  Maybe it's over, Tabitha thought.  I hope if I stay out of Angie and Julie's way, they will go back to ignoring me.  Unless they start breaking bones, they won't hurt me as bad as Monster did, at least as long as they don't know where I live...

"Ok, so your - aunt? is going to give you some money every month.  You know that wouldn't satisfy the law right?"  Rachel asked as the girls neared the diner.  

"If I complain, the cops would probably just give me back to her If she disagrees with my story.  Then my life would Really be hell.  No one would believe me over her," Tabitha said despairingly.

"You might be surprised....  Well you have to let me help you.  You can trust Michael, my boyfriend, too, oh, and Juan, Paul, Simon, and Alex too.  We know people who can really help-"

"No, Rachel, don't tell anyone else, please!  I don't want to be anyone's charity case.  This is Charleston- as long as I have a tent for shelter, I'll be ok for the winter.  I can even make it really nice.  I'll use blankets to cover the floor of the tent, and get one of those electric sleeping bags....  I work at a diner, so I'll be able to eat.  I can do my laundry, and shower at school..."

"Ok," Rachel said with resignation at the door to Bob's Diner.  "I won't tell- yet- as long as you follow a few rules.  One, never go to your camp the same way twice.  Two, if someone you trust offers you food- take it!  Three, when it gets cold, don't sleep outside if it gets below 10 degrees.  I don't care how many sleeping bags or blankets you have, that's just too cold.  If it gets that cold, stay with someone.  My parents would let you stay at my place for a few days, and if worse became worst, I bet Uncle would let you sleep in the pantry or something.  I know him.  He's a really great guy.  He would want to know your situation now, so that he could start doing something about it.  Don't worry, I promised not to tell anyone, but if I find out you broke any of the rules, I'm going to tell someone, because it's more important that you stay safe, than that you like me.  I'm also not going to let anyone torture you at school.  If they try, I'll break them in half- I'm all about defense of self and others!"

"Ok, I can follow those rules, I think.  Thanks' for caring- and for keeping quiet!  Bye now," Tabitha said, as she opened the door and stepped in.