Concern

After lunch, Valerie and Zayn exited the Great Hall.

"Val," Zayn said.

"Yes?" Valerie looked up at Zayn.

Zayn looked ahead and refused to look at Valerie as he looked for words. "Maria." He mumbled.

"Maria? Oh, do you mean Kitara?" Valerie asked.

"Yeah. Did you....were you offended when she said those things to you? Were you hurt?" Zayn asked.

Valerie gave it a thought. "Not really. Like I said, Zayn, I'm used to it. They can't insult me with minor ones. I've been insulted and abused with of much worst." She shrugged.

"Valerie." Zayn said sharply. "Who said 'worst' things to you?" He asked seriously.

Valerie stared at him for a moment before fixing her gaze on the path ahead of her. "Nobodies." She answered.

"You're a terrible liar, Valerie," Zayn stated. "Really, who were they?"

"They're nobodies, Zayn." Valerie repeated.

Zayn sighed. He sped up and blocked Valerie's path.

"Zayn, please move." Valerie said.

"Not unless you tell me who they are." Zayn stated.

"Zayn, I really don't see why you want to know. Kitara's right. Slytherin's shouldn't pay attention to Hufflepuffs. I don't see a reason why you're so concerned." Valerie sighed.

"Valerie, we were friends since we started Hogwarts. I have every right to feel concern towards you." Zayn said.

"Not every, Zayn. Now please move." Valerie ordered. When Zayn didn't move, she tried going around him. He still blocked her.

"Tell me, Valerie." Zayn demanded.

Valerie glared at Zayn. "I said it's nobody, Zayn. How many times do you want me to repeat it?" She told him.

"As many as it takes until you tell the truth." Zayn shrugged.

"Zayn, move." Valerie repeated.

"No." Zayn simply said.

"Zayn!" Valerie growled softly.

"I won't move." Zayn repeated.

"Zayn, we might as well be late!" Valerie said, her eyes locked with Zayn's.

"So be it. I'll block your path until you answer my question." Zayn said.

Valerie continued to argue with Zayn. She then gave up and said in a loud voice with anger,

"THEY WERE MY PARENTS!"

Zayn looked at her in shock. He had never seen Valerie this angry or sad, and now she looked like both. Valerie, with one last glare at him, walked past him and up to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

-after classes- (A/N: I am lazy af)

Valerie and Zayn went through the entire class not talking to each other and when the time had come for Hufflepuffs with Ravenclaws to share Arithmancy, Valerie packed her bag at full speed and was the first to leave the classroom.

~on Valerie's was to Arithmancy~

Valerie walked to their Arithmancy classroom and met up with Lisette halfway.

"Joyce!" Lisette called.

Valerie looked back at Lisette and smiled. "Hi Mae." She said softly.