Chapter 16

Frank and I always referred to it as the Fall-Down Fest. I think a lot of people do. That big festival they hold out at the campground every year that brings in rednecks from all over. Hundreds of campers and RVs swarm the place and all these vendors come in selling switchblades and camo and homemade jams. I shouldn't put it down too much, because I go to it every year. It's fun when you see people there that you know and grab some disgusting carnival food together and walk around in the heat. A few years ago I actually hung out with Jerry, that fat kid, for a few hours and he wasn't so bad. Except he kept sweating all over which wasn't too pleasant. Everybody just seems relaxed that weekend. Then, at night, all the adults get so loaded that they can barely stand up. That's why people call it the Fall-Down Fest. I could probably talk about my experiences there all night, but I won't because chances are, you're already familiar with it.

That time of year is beautiful anyway. People are wearing hoodies and blue jeans, worrying about the first sting of winter but relishing in the crisp smell of the air, the sound of leaves crunching underfoot.

Tabitha went to the Fest with Dad. Mom stayed home. I rode in with them and met up with Frank. We sat on the wooden bleachers around the amphitheater, drinking pop and listening to this dulcimer band full of old people. They really got a kick out of themselves. The music was twangy and catchy and the sun was hot enough and everybody seemed to be smiling. It's amazing what a nice, sunny day can do for your spirit.

Frank wasn't too happy, though. He kept sneaking glances over at the wooden shelter where Uncle Ashton was cradling Wendy in his arms. Every time Frank took a drink from his can, he peeled his lips back from his teeth as if it was filled with poison. I didn't say anything, but after a while I leaned into him with my shoulder to remind him I was there.

"You wanna get an elephant ear?" he asked.

I nodded and we got up, tossing our cans into this metal trashcan that was painted pea green. Most of the paint was chipped off or flaking. Walking to the elephant ear stand took forever, because we kept running into people we knew. Kids from school, teachers, even Coach. We'd talk with them for a bit about whatever nonsense they were interested in. Then either I would look at Frank or he would look at me with a look that signaled we were ready to leave. One of us would end the conversation and we'd make our way on.

The elephant ear was five bucks. Can you believe that? For a piece of fried dough with cinnamon and sugar. It was good, though, and big. We couldn't even keep it on the plate. We both pulled from it as we walked and looked around at the vendor tents. A large, scruffy man in a wheelchair sat inside one of the tents. He wore all black and a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off. He was selling dog tags and knives of all shapes and sizes. I ran my fingers over a Batman dog tag while Frank tried to ask the man if he had any Shaun of the Dead tags. The man had no idea what he was talking about and got kind of snippy because Frank kept trying to explain it to him. At first I felt bad for the vendor, but the last few dog tags on the rack were painted with Confederate flags and I decided I was ready to leave. You see a lot of those at the Fall-Down Fest. On shirts and hats and car decals. Even tattoos, sometimes. I always wonder if those people are evil or ignorant. Not that I can really forgive either one.

My dad's dad went to a high school where they called their sports teams the Rebels. Part of being a senior who played a sport was that you got a Confederate flag to represent team spirit. My grandpa held onto it his whole life, but when he passed away, Dad burned it out on our burn pile. I asked him why he burned it, why he would want to forget part of Grandpa. Dad told me that the flag didn't mean what people around here think it means. They think it means questioning authority, which is fine if the authority is corrupt. But in reality, that flag represents something darker, something unsettling.