17

Some thing just didn't make sense. For one: being rumoured as being the Batman. For two: apparently being tied in with Holiday. It was oddly laughable. Harvey wasn't Batman. Nor was he a murderer. Walking through the door he looked at the elderly man sitting in the chair. In his hands was a file, he was flicking through it with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"You know for all these years you were like a father figure to me." He said, the elderly man jolted out of his thoughts and looked at him. The man in question was his psychiatrist. Over the years even since before becoming the D.A, he had come here. Even when still studying law, he came here. Apparently to the doctor, and Harvey somewhat agreed to a point; there was an anger in him which needed to be channelled.

"Harvey," the old man turned in his chair and looked up at him. "Harvey, when I said channel your anger I didn't mean-"

"I'm not the Batman or Holiday." Harvey said honestly, he frowned when his phone started to go off. "Hello? I'll be there as soon as I can, Vernon. And no, I don't believe it." Harvey said slightly dead-panned. Hanging up he smiled at the doctor, "Perhaps we can chat another time, doc." Soon, Harvey walked through his office door and raised an eyebrow. "If you're here to gloat, Maroni, I don't want to hear it."

"Gloat?" The Italian donned mock shock and looked in his direction. Harvey frowned, the elderly mob boss was sitting behind his desk with Vernon standing beside him. Vernon looked shifty and worried, like always. Harvey didn't wholly trust the blonde haired man. "I'm not here to gloat, Dent. I'm here to turn myself in." Harvey resisted the urge to laugh. This was too good to be true. "I have no idea who's killing my men, Dent. Maybe Falcone's behind it? Maybe it's Holiday, or possibly Batman. I don't know. But I do know this, he's gunning for me next." Maroni said heavily. "You may be a lot of things, Dent. But you're an honest guy, I'm coming to you for protection."

Harvey sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Today just seemed to be getting more and more bizarre. "Great. The only guy in this city who believes I'm not a serial killer is a mobster." It was the truth, the blatant obvious truth that only he seemed able to state.

"Is that a no?"

"Of course not!" Harvey exclaimed angrily and slammed his hand against a notice bored which was covered in photographs. The photographs were of numerous mobsters, Maroni included of course. "But I don't want just you and your guys. I want everyone. The whole damn underworld. The Gigantes, the Falcones."

----

"Falcone is indicted?" Adelaide laughed. Harvey looked up from the newspaper to her. "So this is the infamous Harvey Dent's office?" Adelaide looked around and crossed her arms over her emerald coloured coat. "It's tidy, I'm shocked!"

Harvey folded up the paper and stood up. "What are you doing here?"

"Hm, well you see, I don't know if you own a calendar but..." Adelaide trailed off. "It has been a day, almost two since we've last seen each other." She shrugged. "Some work day this is, it's been dragged on, has it not?"

Harvey looked at her disbelievingly. He hadn't been home since yesterday? He'd really spent all his time in his office? Frowning and thinking over it, yesterday was spent with chasing mob bosses. It was hectic. No wonder he lost the track of time. Looking over at Adelaide he smirked. "Worried"?

"Me, worried...for you? Wouldn't that just make your day?" She laughed. "Yes though, in all seriousness." She frowned. "I mean...you are after men of the mob, Lord only knows what could have happened."

"Well as you can see, I'm fine." Harvey said and even held his arms out to the side to prove his point.

"Good, I'm glad. Now come on, seriously haven't you spent enough time in here today?" Adelaide questioned while looking around his office again.

Harvey smiled. Grabbing his jacket he walked over to where she was still standing near the door. "So you came all this way, just to get me?"

"I swear it's not healthy to spend almost two days in your office." Adelaide said but ended up blushing halfway through her sentence. Harvey smiled at her embarrassment. Putting an arm around her waist he led her out of his office.

----

The day of the court hearing of Sal Maroni dawned, again. Needless to say Adelaide was glued to the television screen. Today, surely today was the day that he was going down? She hoped so. Harvey seemed most hopeful this morning before he left. His confidence, perhaps, was rubbing off on her. She watched interestedly as the dark haired man coughed and got handed something by a lanky blonde haired man.

"Do you swear to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth?" Harvey questioned and frowned when the man didn't answer. "Mr Maroni?" It was clear he was getting annoyed from being partially ignored.

"Yeah, sorry." Maroni answered eventually. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small hand sized pink bottle. "It feels like something is eating me up from the inside." The Italian said and then threw the contents of the bottle at Harvey. Adelaide clasped her hands over her mouth. He screamed, it was an unearthly pain filled scream. The cameras cut then. Adelaide jumped up from the sofa. Grabbing her coat and keys she ran out of the door.

----

(Edited: 21/Jan/2020)