20

Harvey flipped the coin in his hand and looked at it. "Heads," he mumbled and flipped it again. This time it came up tails. Frowning he flipped again, "Heads." He repeated the earlier word and shot up from the chair he was sitting in. Admittedly since escaping the hospital he found a nice little abandoned building to rest up in. Not that he needed to rest exactly. Walking out of the door he slammed it shut and walked briskly down the street. It was good, living in an unknown part of the city. People may have known him, but they avoided him now.

It didn't take long in fact, keeping to the back streets and alleyways, to get to his old home. It stood, silent and dark. It was almost eerie in contrast to what it usually looked like. What it usually looked like when he still inhabited it. Walking to the back door, Harvey pulled the spare key out from underneath a nearby flower pot. Turning the key in the lock, he walked in. It was so quiet. Harvey's eyes flitted around, signs of life were still evident.

Walking through to the living room, he frowned. There was dust starting to collect on the coffee table and on the television screen. Adelaide wasn't a messy person, if anything what he'd learned from her company, was that she was a neat freak. Why would there be dust in a neat freaks home? Or, dust in his home while a neat freak lived here? Harvey flinched suddenly with recognition. He turned and quickly ran up the stairs, opening each room he peered in. When it came to Adelaide's room, he loitered outside. Putting a hand on the handle he pushed it open.

He looked around. Her clothes were missing from the wardrobe, her bags were missing too. She'd left. Adelaide was gone. A sinking feeling spread throughout him. Looking down at the floor, Harvey tried to think of where she'd go. She wouldn't return to her home. She couldn't. It was too dangerous. He lifted his head up and turned out of the room. Walking swiftly down the stairs he exited the building. There was one place. Harvey walked quickly down the alleyways and side streets until Adelaide's mother's house appeared. Leaning against an alley wall, he looked over. The lights were on, which clearly indicated that someone was in there.

Whether it was her or not was another thing completely. Harvey managed to get across the road and down the small alley which kept the neighbours house parted from this one. Walking around, he looked at the porch and then at the door. He hoped it was unlocked. He honestly didn't want to pick the lock. Lock picking was annoying and time consuming at times. Putting his hand on the cold metal he pushed it down. The handle squeaked quietly but it didn't protest against him. Pushing the door open he walked in and shut the door silently behind him.

The sound of quiet music reached his ears. Perking up at this, Harvey walked silently forward. Walking down the faded carpeted corridor he looked into the living room. Hanging back and leaning against the wall he looked at her, Adelaide sat in an oversized chair reading something. There was no television in the room, so the source of the quiet music seemed to come from a stereo. It seemed, like for all purposes, she was here to stay. It also looked like she'd settled in quickly too. He didn't expect her to move out to be honest.

Harvey suddenly felt like he didn't belong. They were friends, good friends, perhaps there was the beginnings of something else...but now, nothing. He couldn't drag her into a lifestyle which he'd fit into and planned out in his head. It just wouldn't be fair on her. Adelaide yawned and stretched her arms and legs out. Rubbing her eyes she looked over to the doorway. He took a step back. Adelaide stood up and walked slowly over to where he was just standing. Throwing the book onto the sofa when she passed it she looked out to the small corridor. He wasn't there, Harvey was already silently shutting the back door behind him, he let out a surprised sound though when the door got ripped open.

"Harvey?" Adelaide's quiet voice questioned. Straightening up he looked over his shoulder at her. "Hello, Harvey." She smiled.

He frowned confused. Relieved, she was relieved to see him here, alive, and well. As well as could be that is. "You moved out." He said gruffly.