Chapter 6: On The Run

Five Days Later

The gang had been hiking for five days, though it felt like forever to them. Once they reached a bridge they all sat down and took a break. Courtney laid down on a rock and got out her binoculars. "See anything?" Duncan asked, a map in his hands.

"She better see something. We've been walking for a damn week." Geoff chuckled.

"We have to find shelter." Duncan said.

Courtney looked up onto the mountain and spotted a house. "There's a building on the mountain." She said. "What does it look like?" Duncan asked.

"It's big," Courtney said. "That sound's like a good place to spend the night." Duncan said, everyone nodded in agreement.

"There's a lift or something." Courtney said. "Chair lift? Must be a ski resort." Harold said.

"I've never been skiing." Courtney said. Geoff's face lit up. "Bridge and I went once." He glanced at his wife.

"It wasn't pretty." Bridgette chuckled.

"There's the bridge." Courtney said. "Does it look passable?" Duncan asked.

"I think so."

"Good."

"There's a little house by the bridge. It's pretty small." Courtney got off of the rock and returned back to the group.

"We have to cross that bridge. Let's go." DJ said.

"Hold on now, deej. We can't all go sprinting across that thing, okay? If we get spotted out there, we're gonna be trapped." Duncan said.

"Going around that lake will take too long." DJ said.

"Right, but... Look, we've got no idea who's there. Okay, i'm gonna sneak across and make sure it's clear before we bring the whole group over there." Duncan said.

"Whats your plan?" Harold asked.

"Princess and I can scoot across low and slow and make sure nobody's waiting for us on the other side." Duncan said, smirking down at Courtney.

"It's gonna be fine. Okay? We'll signal you guys in ten minutes. Just watch for a light at the far side." Duncan said.

"I can go too." Harold said. Duncan rolled his eyes. "You stay with the group, dork." Duncan smirked at his glare.

"Come on, princess." Duncan said. Courtney nodded and followed close beside him.

"Hey, uh, sorry about that. I just could really use your eyes, and right now I don't trust Harold to tie his own shoes. They're just still on edge after the Heather thing."

"It's been five days. Why would Heather still be following us?" Courtney asked.

Duncan chose to ignore her question. "What's the most important thing in this world?" Duncan said.

"Family?" Courtney said. "It's a tough world with people out there you can trust." Duncan said.

"Anyways, you can ask Malibu, okay? I'm not gonna get in the middle of it." He continued. "We all make mistakes. They're there so we can learn from them." He smiled.

"Seems like we're already in the middle of it." Courtney chuckled.

"Tell me about it." He smirked.

They came to an abrupt stop, they ran into walkers. "Hmm. We can't shoot 'em. Too much noise." Duncan said.

"Lets take 'em." Courtney smirked.

"I like your style." Duncan smirked as well.

"I'll take the big one. You get shorty." He said.

"Got it. I'll take the small one."

"Good. Let's do it."

They stood up and pulled out their weapons. They smirked at each other and slowly began to advance forward.

Courtney came up behind the walked and plunged the hammer into its head. She began to struggle to pull out the hammer as it got stuck in the walkers skull.

"Go ahead. Give it a good pull, it should come free." Duncan said as he placed his machete back into it's holster.

She groaned and pulled the hammer free. "Nice work, princess. You're a natural." Duncan gave her a pat on the back, she smiled at him.

————

The two began to walk across the bridge, being a careful as they could. A walker began to growl and crawl toward them. Courtney looked behind them and saw a walker, moaning and slowly coming closer to them.

"Shit." Duncan said. He pulled out his machete and began to charge at a walker. However as he did this, the wood beneath him couldn't support his weight and he fell. He caught himself and groaned. "AHH!"

"Duncan!" Courtney screamed. She crouched down and saw him hanging on by the beams of the bridge. "Princess! I'm okay, I just... I'm stuck." He said, clinging onto the beams as the walker who fell with him tried to reach out and grab his leg.

She reached her arm out for him. "Behind you!" Duncan yelled. Courtney immediately got to her feet and kicked the walker in the shin causing it to fall onto the ground. She plunged the hammer into its jaw, they both struggled. But the walker pushed her back, she almost fell off the bridge but she caught herself.

She grabbed onto the arches of the bridge. The walker, who was now missing a jaw, stood up and began to charge at her. She quickly moved to the side and clung onto the arches. The walker and her hammer fell into the water.

Another walker marched up to her. As she was trying to avoid it from grabbing her she slipped, fortunately she grabbed onto the bearings and screamed. She was dangling from the top of a fourty foot drop of water.

She pulled herself up onto the bridge. She barely avoided the walker and returned safely onto the bridge. She looked around and spotted Duncan's machete sitting on the floorboards.

She slashed the walker across its face. She slashed its face again only for the machete to get stuck, she pushed and pulled and the machete went clean through the walkers head.

"Duncan!" She yelled, she grabbed a pipe that was sitting on the ground and raced over to him.

"Here. Give it here." Duncan said frantically. He placed the pipe between the beams and stood on top of it. He grabbed onto the ledge and pulled himself up.

Once they were both safely on the bridge again they were both were panting. "Thanks, princess." He said, clearly out of breath. "I owe you one." They both laughed.

"Let's keep going." They slowly began to walk across the bridge, being much more careful this time. The only sound that could be heard were their footsteps and the sound of birds chirping in the distance.

————

Change of plans, more characters will be introduced in the NEXT chapter, sorry! Thanks for reading my story, loves. 😘