Chapter 7: Familiar Face's

"Let's keep going." They slowly began to walk across the bridge, being much more careful this time. Duncan placed his arm in front of her, stopping her. "You see him?" He asked.

Courtney looked up and saw a man walking toward them, a rifle in his hands. "Just play it cool. I'll do the talking." Duncan said.

"Don't make any sudden moves. And don't piss him off." Courtney said. Duncan rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever, princess."

"Well, who are you?" The man asked.

"What do you want?" Duncan asked, gripping the gun that was resting on his hip.

"Saw you coming and i thought i'd meet you halfway." The man said, walking closer to them

"Huh. You don't look like assholes. Are you assholes?" The man asked. As he got closer they got a good look of him. He was short, had dark brown hair, and had the same skin color as Courtney.

"We're just people." Duncan called out.

"Fair enough." The man shrugged.

"You guys headed north like everyone else?" The man started walking closer to them.

"I see a bunch of people come and go around here." The man said.

Courtney smiled. "Have you seen a man named Scott?" She asked, hopeful he'd say yes.

"Scott? I don't think, maybe." He said.

"I gotta say, you two look like shit. If you need food, I've got some canned stuff in my station."

"Well that's awful nice of you. What's the catch?" Duncan arched a brow.

The man smiled. "No catch. I've got plenty."

"Well all right, then. Thank you." Duncan said.

"Hey, no problem. Nice running into friendly faces out here. Like i said, I've got food and supplies back in the station. And if you want...." The mans eyes drifted behind Duncan and Courtney, he got angry.

"What the fuck, man?" Duncan and Courtney turned around and saw Harold rushing towards them, a rifle in his hands. "What the hell is he doing?" Duncan said.

Harold came to a stop and aimed at the man, he did the same. "No, no, no, no! He's with us!" Duncan yelled.

"HAROLD NO!" Duncan yelled, waving his hands around. Courtney turned around, "DON'T SHOOT!" She yelled.

Duncan quickly pulled courtney onto the ground as a gun shot rang through the air. They slowly looked up and saw Harold has shot the man in the throat. The man made gurgling noises as he stumbled to the side of the bridge and fell off.

"Did i hit him? Where is he?!" Harold said. Duncan clenched his fists and walked over to the red-headed boy. "I told you not to shoot." Duncan said.

"What? Who was that guy?" Harold asked, out of breath. Duncan pushed him back. "Why didn't you wait for a signal?" He asked.

"Why did you shoot?" Courtney sneered at Harold.

"He pointed a gun at me!" Harold defended.

"Dammit, Harold, I told you not to shoot." Duncan growled. "How was I supposed to hear you? You gave me a clear shot!" Harold defended.

"That shot rang out for miles, you idiot." Duncan hissed. "We gotta get off this bridge. Let's go." Duncan said.

———

They arrived at the station. Bridgette sat down on a log, out of breath. "Who the fuck... Was that back there?" She asked.

"I don't know." Duncan said.