Chapter 2: New Faces

Courtney coughed water out of her throat. She looked around her and saw she washed up on the shore. She tried to stand but when she put pressure on her arm she fell back down and cried out in pain. She looked at her arm and saw a deep cut. She cursed under her breath and pulled her sleeve back up.

she stood up and looked around at the trees surrounding her. She began to walk down the path, she shivered and pulled her sweater closer to her. She flinched as she heard the trees rustle and birds flew out of the trees. she shook her head and sat down.

She felt tears run down her cheeks. Then she remembered Scott, all she could hope was that he got out safe. She wasn't used to being alone, Scott was the one who would protect her and care for her. Now that he was gone, well, that scared the shit out of her.

She felt her eyelids become heavy. She tried to not fall asleep but she failed. she slipped into unconsciousness. But it didn't last long, because she quickly woke up to moaning. Her eyes widened and she looked around her, there was walkers around her.

She whimpered and quickly stood up. She could her the walker moaning behind her. She tried running but her legs gave out. The walker pushed her over, landing on top of her. Courtney groaned and pushed her hands against the walkers chest. She used all her strength to try and push it off of her.

she was caught by surprise when someone chopped the walkers head off. She gasped and pushed its body off of her. Her vision was blurry, all she could hear was the walkers moaning. She heard someone speak. "Grab her and lets go!"

She felt someone pick her up, she laid her head against the persons chest and let her breathing slow down. Her heart was beating in her throat, and the laceration on her arm hurt like hell. she heard the walkers moan become more distant, and the men's pace slow down.

"I think we're safe." one of the men said, out of breath. The man that was holding her looked around and nodded. "Yeah, yeah. We're good." He said.

"Hey. You all right?" the man asked her. Courtney nodded and spoke. "I think so," she chocked out.

both men nodded and they continued walking. One of the men looked at her and spoke. "What are you doing out here? You could have gotten yourself killed," he said.

"Me and my friend got lost. We were attacked by some scavengers and we got separated." Courtney said, the two men shared a look. One of them spoke. "Did these people mention what they were after?" He asked.

"They could have just wanted food. Or our supplies," Courtney said. The man carrying her looked down at her, Courtney caught a glimpse of his face. He had facial piercing, some on his ears too. He also had piercing teal eyes, he had a bit of a punk vibe going on. Dare she say it, he was pretty attractive. Even when he was in the zombie apocalypse.

"Well we might as well tell you who we are. I'm Duncan and this is DJ." Duncan sent her a smirk and DJ gave her a warm smile and a wave. Courtney spoke. "My name is Courtney,"

"Its nice to meet you Courtney. For now, were gonna take you back to our group, okay?" DJ said with a warm smile. Courtney smiled back and nodded. "Thank you, DJ." she said.

Duncan spoke. "We've got a doctor with us and you look like you could-- OH SHIT!" Duncan looked down at her arm and dropped her. She cried out and DJ came over to her. "What's wrong?" He asked, his eyes full of concern.

"She's... She's been bit, man. FUCK!" Duncan put his head into his hands and began to mutter things under his breath. Courtney immediately back-peddled. "No! Its not a walker bite!" DJ shook his head.

"You were just by that group lurkers!" Duncan gave her a small glare, which she glared back. Courtney spoke. "Its not a walker bite! I swear!" She said.

Duncan crossed his arms and looked down at her. He looked her straight in the eyes, Courtney kept her ground and stared back. Duncan smiled and held out a hand for her. She raised a brow and took his hand. He spoke. "All right. I believe her." He said.

"Wait are you serious? You're just gonna let her walk around with that lurker bite?" DJ asked, Duncan ignored him and crouched down to Courtney's level. He pulled back her sleeve and inspected the laceration.

"I could be anything, really. Hard to say." Duncan continued to look at her arm. He looked up at her, his face serious. "Courtney. Are you telling us the truth?" He asked.

"You look me in the eyes when you answer," He said. Courtney looked him straight in the eyes and said in a strong voice. "Yes," Duncan continued to stare at her, he then nodded and pulled her up. "Alright Courtney. I believe you." He sent her a smirk.

DJ looked at him in confusion. "You're just gonna let her off the hook?" DJ asked. Duncan shook his head and chuckled. "I've got a good bullshit detector, DJ. That's why you can never beat me at poker," DJ rolled his eyes and laughed.

"We can have Malibu take a look at that for you," Duncan smirked down at Courtney, she rolled her eyes and spoke. "Thank you. I just need to get this taken care of and i'll be out of your way." She said.

"Come on, lets go." They began to walk forward and Courtney felt herself slow down and she began to trip on her shoes. Duncan looked back at her and arched a brow, he spoke in a worried tone. "Princess, are you feeling all right...?" He asked.

"I'm fine... Just... Tired," Courtney said, her voice cracking. She felt her vision become blurry and she slipped into unconsciousness. The last thing she heard was footsteps and hurried voices.

And then everything went black.

————

So Courtney has finally met Duncan. More characters will be introduced in the next chapter.