Final Selection

Edited: May 25, 2021

***

'The reason that I won was that I learned to see an opening thread. When I'm fighting someone and see an opening to attack, then I can see the thread. A thread that is connected from the blade of my sword to my opponent's opening, pulled tight the instant I see it. My blade moves on its own with great force, and slash the opening.'

You stand in front of the sliced boulder, staring at it, processing it in your head. 'I... I did it...'

Mr. Urokodaki emerged in the woods walking towards the sliced boulders.

"Mr. Urokodaki..." Tanjiro said.

"I had no intention of sending you two in the Final Selection," Urokodaki confessed.

You and Tanjiro widen your eyes at the information.

"I didn't want to see my children die anymore. I was sure you two wouldn't be able to slice this boulder, but..." He approached you both and pats your head. "Well done, my kids! Tanjiro you're a remarkable kid!"

"And (Y/n), girls your age can't even take care of themselves but you did this... you're an amazing kid!" This made your eyes water, tears sliding down your cheeks. Urokodaki tightly hugged both of you. "Make sure you come back alive from Final Selection. Your sister and I will be waiting for both of you here."

***

Grilled fishes, cooked vegetables, unlimited rice, and COOKED MEAT...MEAT. Oh, how you love that word just hearing about it is making your mouth water, the sweet-savory flavor of meat. You began to stuff your face with food, chowing down the food down your throat.

"What's the occasion? There's so much." Tanjiro asked.

"You've both completed your training, so we're celebrating. Don't be shy. Eat up." Well, you were certainly not shy at all. Gobbling all the food until your mouth was full.

'Mhmm... This is heaven...'

.

.

.

Snip snip snip

You were cutting your brother's long unruly hair, ruffling it to style. While humming a song that you always sing as a kid.

"Hey, Tanjiro, (Y/n)..." Urokodaki breaks the silence.

You stop what you were doing and give your attention to Urokodaki. "Yes?" You said.

"Did you both enjoy the hot pot?" He asked.

"Yes! It was very delicious and filling! I haven't tasted anything that good in so long!" You cheerfully said with stars in your eyes.

'My young sister has a very a big appetite... I'm glad she's eating well.' Tanjiro thought. 

"A growing boy and girl like you kids with a hearty appetite should get stronger the more you eat. But that goes for demons as well." He said, "Remember this, a demon is as strong as the number of humans he devoured." Urokodaki advised.

"There are demons who gain power, become to transform their bodies and even use strange spells." Urokodaki opens a drawer with two fox masks on.

"When your sense of smell becomes keener, you'll be able to tell how many humans a demon's consumed." He gave the fox masks to both of you. Tanjiro's mask has a red design while yours is a deep crimson red like a ruby, having three whiskers on both cheeks.