Without moving my head too much, I glance around the room. It seemed to be the same one I woke up this morning, but the lamp had been replaced since I didn't see my handprint on it anymore. Looking closely, I saw little bears dancing around the base of the light. 

"Pretty," I croak out. The bed felt warm and safe, and the covers were not scratchy and stiff. And everything smelled clean. It was like waking up in another life. I could sense others shuffling around outside the door. But none seemed to come close to my door. 

Shuffling around, I catch a glimpse at my hands.

This is so strange. I think, Why am I not tied up? Are they not afraid? Or maybe they think they can take me because I'm so weak right now. Yeah... That must be it. I can't even stand the thought of moving my legs. 

But this is still so...weird. A part of me wants to stay in this bed and go back to sleep, but I can't. I promised Rica I would keep us alive. 

A booming knock startled me from my thoughts. I look up quickly, but the knock wasn't to my door. There was absolute stillness. No air stirred the grass or leaves outside. Not a sound could be heard either close at hand or in the far off distance. Even my own breath seemed to die as soon as it left my mouth. It was an eerie sort of tranquility, so instead of being soothed my senses became heightened. I felt like the prey even though no predator could be detected. It was as if the world were encased in a cocoon, a bubble, and there was no way out. A minute or an hour passed before the creaking of the door hinges groaned from outside.

"I didn't expect you to be here tonight." Luciana's voice rang out in the night, breaking the silence.

"Clearly." A raspy voice replied, "Are you going to invite me in, or should I just sit out here and acquaint myself with the vermin that lives in these woods." The raspy voice barked irritably.

"It has been a long time since I saw you. How do I know you're not here to kill me and my clan?" Luciana asked cautiously

"Oh hush, that was over a long time ago. You shouldn't hold a grudge, it gives you wrinkles." there was a long pause, "Well...it will give you more wrinkles."

"How charming." Luciana murmured, there was another pause and shuffling as the ladies moved into the house. 

Carefully, I lifted the covers, ignoring the pains shooting pains. I took a steady breath and lifted myself off the bed and towards the door. I needed to be ready if there was any trouble.

"Why are you here?" Luciana questioned.

"Come, let's have a drink." the raspy voice ordered.

"I'm busy at the moment, so if you-"

"Then sit down and watch me drink. Where's the brandy?" She asked, there was the sound of clanking glasses before it because silent again.

"Is she safe?" The voices asked.

"For now," Luciana replied.

"I want to meet her." The voice said softly.

"No." Luciana 

"I've kept my word. I have not once interfered with what happened to her. Now it is time you keep your promise. Let. Me. See. Her." the voice enunciated.

"No," Luciana said firmly. Glass shatters outside the room, carefully I back up, waiting to open the door at a moment's notice. 

"Always with the temper." Luciana chides

"Yes, well it runs in the bloody family. I will need a new glass, I seemed to have finished my drink." Luciana sighed and the chair creaked as she went to get a new glass.