Search

Ryan

When my eyes open, it's morning. My back feels a little sore because I slept on the couch in a weird way, but I think I'll be fine.

I shift around so that I'm facing the ceiling, and something strikes me as odd. But I can't really notice what it is.

Oh well.

I sit up, the couch groaning as I move. I must have fallen asleep with my day clothes on, a detail that bothers me a bit more than I should. I slip off my shirt with a simple shrug, and let it fall to the floor.

There's a certain urge to find something, but I push it away. With my eyes feeling more droopy than ever, and my stomach begging for sustenance, I ignore the itch that's nagging at my mind.

"Why did I leave the pots and pans on the ground?" I ask myself as I walk into the kitchen. Sure enough, there's my new Paula Dean set scattered on the ground like pieces to a puzzle. I pick them back up and hang them over the counters where they belong, and all the while I'm wondering why they were there in the first place.

It'll come to me eventually, I propose, and open the fridge.

And then it hits me.

"Mitchell?" I ask, and my voice echoes through the hallway. My hand trembles for a moment, and the anxiety from last night floods back into my memory. "Are you there?"

I close the refrigerator door and wander the apartment, looking for him. My bedroom, the bathroom, some of the other rooms that are holding all of my junk, the living room and the kitchen again.

But he's not there.

"Mitchell?" By now, I'm pacing throughout the entire house, looking for any sign of Mitchell. My nerves are jolting with fear and worry, unsure of where he is.

You fucked this up, a voice in my head whispers. This is your own fault.

"It's not my fault..." I whisper weakly. "It was just an argument between us... he's not really gone..."

Are you so sure?

"Yes."

Where is he now? What have you done to prevent his demise?

My hands shake with a ferocity that I've never experienced, and the tears stream down my face even harder. "Mitchell..." I choke out. "Where are you...?"

Without thinking, I grab my phone and call the one person I know who can help.

☂️☂️☂️

"Sarah?" My voice is shaky, wavering like a crooked tower.

The usually content-with-life tabby has her arms crossed now, a deep scowl on her face. She's standing next to the couch, watching me painfully as I weep on the floor.

"What the fuck have you done, Ryan?" Her voice is firm, solid, unwavering. Her accusation tears deeper than a knife.

"Sarah, I just-"

"You fucking broke him!" She yells, her own set of tears forming. "You broke a promise he held closer than anything else, and now he's fucking gone!"

She slaps me. Hard. The kind of slap that would knock an insane person off kilter.

My tears just answer for me. I'm too lost for words... and I'm drowning.

"So what are you going to do about it?"

I'm confused... Sarah was so angry, and then she's wondering what I'll do next... "I don't know," I manage to say. "I honestly don't know."