A New Start

I put down the phone, sitting it on the coffee table in front of me. It's been a few days since Qwill's party, and things have been nice for the most part. Ryan took me out to dinner last night, sort of like an actual date, though I think I stuffed my face a bit more than I would have liked...

I let out a sigh, and my head slowly throbs from the ache that's growing. A part of me wants to ignore the phone call that I just got done with, but... God, what am I going to do?

"I feel like a plate of scrambled eggs," I mutter to myself, and get up to try and walk off my nerves.

I hear the front door open, and I find myself cursing as Ryan closes it behind him. "Scrambled eggs?" The wolf asks, looking around expectantly. "You made food?"

"Oh, no..." I stammer, glancing over at my phone. Damn it and my nerves. "I was just talking, is all."

"Oh, that's good then."

Ryan gives me a kiss, and I fall into it immediately. He wants to pull back after a moment, but I don't want to. I just want to hold onto it forever, just like how I want to hold onto him forever. I close my eyes and feel his lips press against mine, the funny yet ticklish feeling of his eyelashes fluttering against my fur. I hold myself tighter to him, unintentionally, because I don't want to think of myself without him.

"Um... Pup, you can let go." He pats my head affectionately, and I jump back to reality.

"Oh, right," I say, my voice a little shaky. I pull away from him, and straighten out the wrinkles in my clothes awkwardly. "Sorry... I just sort of needed that."

Ryan sits down the bags he had been carrying in the kitchen, and joins me on the couch. He's already worked off my shirt and started massaging the muscles around my shoulders. "You feel tense."

"...Yeah." I let out a sigh as he works his fingers along my back, massaging away the tense bits that had sprung up in the past few minutes.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Um... well..."

"I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to."

"Oh, no, it's just..." I feel one of the more strained muscles pop back to normal, and a breathy moan escapes my lips. "Ooh... I just got stressed out for something, it's fine."

He stops massaging my back, and I whine.

"Why'd you stop?"

He shrugs, and gives me another kiss. "Just talk, and maybe I'll massage a bit more than your back."

Oh.

Okay.

"I just... well, I got a phone call from my landlord. He's mad because I haven't been able to pay rent for these past few months, and..." I sigh, and get up. I slip my t-shirt back on and run my fingers through my hair. "I need to get back home, and try to sort all this stuff out, I'm sorry..."

I start walking toward the door, about to leave a dismayed Ryan. I'm only turning the doorknob when he says something. I can't hear him, though, and I turn back around to ask him to say it again.

"What?"

He looks off for a moment, and looks back directly at me. "I wanted to talk to you about something." He waves back towards the couch, ushering to me. "Sit back down."

And I do so, hesitation shown in my actions. I lean back on the couch, sigh, and mumble, "What is it?"

"Um... well..."