The Buffet Period

It's not really pulling into the parking lot of a chain buffet restaurant if three people flag you down into a pre-approved parking spot, complete with air traffic flags and and everything.

Sarah's voice makes its way into the car somehow as she yells, "Alright, you're clear to come park! Nice, nice... Okay! Stop! Wait wait wait, go back!"

Kayla's eyes widen, horrified. "Ryan, you shit, you're gonna drive over the parking bump!"

The wolf in the driver's seat grins, chuckling evilly as he continues creeping forward. There's a dramatic bump that we pass over, and the three outside face-palm consecutively.

"He fucked it up." Sarah grovels, her shoulders slouching so far down she looks like depressed as fuck.

"Watch this, Pup," Ryan giggles, and he pulls back just enough to make it over the bump again. He turns the car off, and gets out.

"Ryan!" I shout from inside the car, but I doubt he can hear me. "We're not parking here! My god..." I get out of the car, and examine the parking job that Ryan has done. Just like I thought; horrifyingly, perfectly balanced on the bump meant to keep people from driving over it in the first place.

"That's one way to do it," Qwill quips, and I shrug along with him.

"Ryan, you're crazy," Kayla says, a still a bit horrified. She wraps her arm around his neck jokingly and whispers, "Crazy's good."

We all laugh, and Ryan wiggles out of her grasp. "Come on, I'm hungry!" He yells excitedly, and he runs towards the front door of Golden Corral as if he's a three year old.

Sarah gives me a raised eyebrow, and I give her the parenting look. "That's not my kid."

Qwill and Kayla waste no time running inside, but Sarah and I walk at a leisurely pace. "He's certainly not mine," she jokes.

"Why I love him even when he does stuff like that, I have no earthly clue."

We walk inside, and pay for our food alongside the others. Basically you pay a set price for buffet, you grab your drink, find a table, and go to town on food; it's not too bad of a price, especially when it's not dinner time. The five of us end up snagging a decent sized table, and everyone else goes to grab some food, leaving me and Sarah alone once again.

I tried protesting, of course, but Ryan and Qwill were like, "Someone has to watch the drinks, just in case." And Kayla bolted for the salad bar as soon as she got there, so thanks guys.

So I awkwardly tap my fingers on the table, unsure of what to say to Sarah. Fortunately, she does that for me.

"So... how was last night?"

"Uh..." I blush profusely. "It was... nice. I really liked dinner, to be honest." God, why would I be so nervous around my best friend?

"So you guys... didn't do anything else last night?" Sarah takes her index and middle finger, and pretends her hand is a person walking on the table. I get it, though; I'm just as bored as she is, and our talking is passing time.

"Um..." I take her hand and hold it even though she's trying to jerk it away, damn my sweaty palms. "We did it last night."

It takes a moment for the words to process, but the reaction is worth it. Sarah's eyes widen, and the grin on her face resembles the Peanuts smile more than any actual grin. "Oh my god! You're not joking?"